The Power goes sober

I hope you won’t change dosage without talking to your doctor. Otherwise I’d be careful with experimenting.
Glad to see it seems to be working though. Even though I completely disagree with your approach, I wish you the best of luck :+1: :smiley:

No, no, im asking the doc before i change something, don’t worry😄

Thank you, you’re a Sportsman👍

1 Like

Day 15

Medication: 40mg lioresal (Baclofen)
Cravings: 3/10
Feeling: Ok
Sober: Yes

Yeah Guys, i’m back home from my Amsterdam trip. Stayed Sober. Now, i’m happy and sad at the same time. I made the best run of my life, but i couldn’t celebrate it with the other Runners in one of the marquees or bars in the finish area. Well, i could, but i was concerned that this would had a bad end.

Now, i’m beginning to realise: I have to deal with the fact that i’m out of the party forever. It’s Over. I’m Out. Excluded. I don’t belong anymore to those happy people who are able to celebrate with a couple of drinks. Its hard, but i have to deal with it. Sometimes it sucks to do the right things. But i’m on a mission. I have to stay strong. See you tomorrow

6 Likes

It is a good realization. What I found, for me, was it was all about perspective. I can now celebrate in other ways, more meaningful ways that wont end up me being a drunken ass. To be honest, these new celebrations have been some really good memories. It’s time to discover this! Scary at first…but rewarding in the end.

7 Likes

You know what I did to celebrate after running my half marathon? You’re gonna laugh - I went to McDonalds.

That’s what I did to celebrate. It was glorious. I had a McDonalds breakfast meal with extra hash browns, coffee with cream and sugar. I still remember that meal. It’s funny - I’ve had a million celebration meals but that one I still remember, years later. It meant something because I had trained for that run and I made it.

Winning and celebrating is all in the mind. You choose to train, you choose to win, you choose to celebrate, and you can do it all, sober - and you’ll remember it :innocent:

9 Likes

My celebrations…I scratch cook a meal for loved ones. To be honest, the meals have meant far more than what I was celebrating. Crazy how life is when you are sober.

6 Likes

That’s my favorite way, as well :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

Day 16 and 17

Medication: 45mg (Yesterday 40) Lioresal (Baclofen)
Cravings: 6/10
Feeling: Stunned
Sober: Yes

Day 16 and 17 are over. Found a new job, go back to work on monday. Was in the Stadium today, Champions League Match, what means High Risk Situation, so i decided to take the final dose of lioresal before the game. And yeah, i really had a great desire to get drunk, but this overwhelming pressure to drink what i normally have…was not there. So i made a pro and contra list in my mind. Contra won. This is awesome. I was sure that i will drink tonight. But no, another day is in the pocket.

P.s Before you ask: Because i struggled with cravings at 40mg and had strong side effects at 50mg, the doc and i decided to try 45mg for the next days. Fingers crossed that this is finally the right dosage.

2 Likes

Day 18

Medication: 30mg Lioresal*(Baclofen)
Cravings: 9/10
Feeling: Ok, but a bit disappointed
Sober: No, i slipped out

Back on Day 1 again. The evening in short: Yesterday, i was playing Darts. Lost the first two games because i missed the checkouts, get angry, then it was enough, i said fuck it and get some beer. Drank three beer in short time, then i was relaxed and won the last three games. Another two, then into my favourite bar, nice flirt with a polish lady (married unfortunetly), two more there and four at home to let the day behind me. Its a pitty, i was on a nice streak. But at least it was less than normal, i dont get blackouted and stoped after 11.

Note to self: Find a way to manage nervousness or stop playing darts. And, Baclofen isnt a magic pill. And visit warsaw on occasion.

Ok, thats all from my position. Going to cure the hangover. Have a nice day

*Didnt took the last dose of 15mg because i was drinking

1 Like

I’m sorry to hear about it. Relapse is hard. It’s always hard.

It’s a learning experience. Something needs to change. Take some time to reflect and you’ll realize what you need to do. Take care, one day at a time :innocent:

1 Like

Thanks for your warm words, Matt👍

1 Like

A great realization. It may not seem like it now, but drinking is a choice. Took me getting sober to finally realize that.

What can you add to your sobriety program? For me, it took being here, AA, and a handful of other things.

You deserve a sober life! Reach out if you need help.

5 Likes

I have no idea what to do. Its impossible to me to stay sober on the longrun. This stuff is everywhere and i’m not strong enough to fight every day. Its so stressful, even with baclofen, and it really sucks. This asshole named alcohol just doesnt stop to annoy. Every f***day i had to think about. No breaks. No silence. Except i drink. I really don’t see a solution. Maybe try to consume safe once or twice a month. Crash in a controlled manner. But this is not what i want…Damn

2 Likes

Your relapse didn’t start at the bar. It’s been pretty clear the last few days you’ve been heading towards one. Go back and read this thread and you’ll see it to. Other than taking medication you made no changes in your life. And sure enough you got the same result you always get. Also, you only hurt yourself by minimizing your problem. “Only” 11 beers, isn’t a small amount. No matter how much you used to drink. I hope you were able to learn something from this.

7 Likes

Really read what’s written here in many ways by many folks man. You got to have a program. One you devise yourself but with knowledge you’ve learned from others. Nothing changes when nothing changes. You got to change stuff. You got to learn. You got to identify why you drink. Which is based on false assumptions. One example: you drank when you missed the checkouts. After you drank you made them. So now your drinking is reinforced because it helped you. Except it didn’t. You think about why yourself.
You need to change things in your life friend. You don’t need to fight. You need to learn and develop yourself as a human being. How you have to find out for yourself. It’s all been written down in this thread but obviously you don’t see it -yet. I don’t blame you for that or for anything. But I do implore you to try and learn instead of trying to do it all your own way. You say it yourself:

Nobody as an idea what to do. On their own. We all need to do it together. Despite being here you try to do it on your own. I’m not in AA, but I like this one that’s typically said at AA meetings: time to get the cotton out of your ears and stuff it in your mouth for a change. I wish you the very best. You CAN do this. Stop fighting. Start listening, thinking and learning.

9 Likes

It is not impossible. Plenty of people who very addicted quit. Have more faith in yourself. Apart from Baclofen, what have u tried? Keep trying different things. I tried medication, it didn’t work. I tried an online program, this app alone, they didn’t work and I kept trying. I personally live a 10 minute bicycle ride from 4 places that sell alcohol 9am to 9pm, and 3 convenience stores that sell it 24/7. It used to torture me. It doesn’t anymore. I was terrified of any time alone, I can
take pleasure in it now. You can do it too.

3 Likes

I know the feeling but the good news is the longer you’re sober the stronger you become to handle difficult situations. Also the cravings will become less. I hated that voice in my head that kept talking to me I can have a drink because I deserve one.
What has helped me was avoiding all alcohol related events the first 3 monts of my sobriaty. So no pub, drinking friends, parties, etc. I even eat no pizza because I knew I want wine with it.
I read here a lot and tried a lot of tips people gave me. Some worked, some not. But at the end I found a way that suits me.
Baclofen is one path…add some more and you will win!

6 Likes

I’m so sorry you faltered. I would love for to you to try again without the medication. The one thing I learned from all my relapses is that we NEED to feel all the feels to truly heal. We don’t drink because we like drink, we drink because of things that are deeper, emotional. We need to feel everything uncomfortable to find out exactly what it is that we’re trying to avoid.

I want you to know that I believe in you and YOU CAN DO IT!!

2 Likes

Thank you all for your messages. First of all, about the reasons of drinking, i guess i know why i’m doing this. In Sobriety, i realised that i’m a nervous wreck in situations of pressure and that i have problems in social settings with people that i don’t know (exept at work, there is no problem, no idea why). That means, if i want to stop drinking, i have to find other ways to stay relaxed in those situations. And i have to beat the cravings, but this is reachable. Ok, than i would have a chance. I will investigate this. I hope i will find a way

1 Like

When I got sober, I did the following:

1. came here and was active…on the serious threads, and on the fun threads

2. I changed people places and things. The restaurants I loved to eat at…if they served alcohol…I stopped going. People, I just didnt go out with friends If alcohol was involved. Things: any activity centered around alcohol was out of my life.

3. this left a lot of time on my hands…I filled my life with sober activities. I wrote a list…huge list. Chores, things I always wanted to do, learn, see…ect…and did them

4. walked…I walked at least 5 miles a day

5. dedicated 2 hours a night to reading about alcoholism and addiction.

This got me 89 days sober. I was not going to make it much longer. I swallowed my pride and did the 1 thing I swore I would never do…go to AA

1308 days sober…I fixed the “whys” of drinking. Changed my life style…
And couldnt be any happier

6 Likes