The power of Forgiveness

“Wounds heal if I allow myself to feel the pain and not sink into suffering.” C.

Hello everyone, my name is Carlos, I’m addict in recovery, 10,403 days have passed since I arrived at A.A. and N.A., today I have more years sober than I had when I joined a group, I have definitely lived the blessings of this program, and after all these years, at 50 years old, I understood the power of forgiveness and I would like to share it with you.

A few days I understand that “Forgiveness”, is a gift that is not about trying to exonerate someone, nor is it about agreeing with their actions, it’s about accepting the “pain” they caused you and releasing that person as eternally responsible for your emotional well-being. Forgiveness, free of any external condition, can be granted by and for the person who suffered the offense, that is, oneself. Therefore, forgiveness is: unconditional, infinite and non-transactional. Liberating for those who agree to give it without wanting justice for the affront, and restores the ability to live in harmony, love, free of feelings or emotions that paralyze and harm us. Or at least that’s how I understand it. So it is only about flowing in the liberating light of each one’s creative spirit, God gives us the opportunity to choose the path and never abandons us, he lets us decide so that we understand that love has different routes, but a single goal. , to be one with Him and He with us. And that forgiveness is part of walking those routes, that sooner or later I have to face tests that demand my ability and capacity for love that I have, to forgive and move on. Today I see that hating is love, but without having all the complete information.

15 Likes

Ok…i understand some of what youve written…this is a genuine question and something i struggle with…i think i am a forgiving person…i will quickly forgive when the other party apologises as we all make mistakes…i also apologise and admit wrong doing if i think ive done wrong…but my question is this…what if the other party has wronged you but shows no remorse, admit any wrong doing or both? How do you forgive and move on then?

5 Likes

Why should my forgiving someone be contingent on the offender’s willingness to apologize?

Forgiveness is a one-sided activity. I forgive the offender. It doesn’t involve the offender’s participation. If I don’t, I stay angry and bitter against that person for the rest of my life. Forgiveness is the best path for my own well-being. I forgive, not primarily for the other person’s benefit, but for my own.

That doesn’t mean that there is reconciliation. The offender may not be safe enough for me to do that.

I don’t personally struggle with this. But in my area of addiction, I interact with loads of wives battling unforgiveness towards their husbands’ betrayal.

Some of the best books on forgiveness I’ve read are

June Hunt, How to Forgive When you Don’t Feel Like it

and Lysa Terkeurst, Forgiving What you can’t Forget

They are both Christian authors. I don’t know what you’re spiritual beliefs are. But they’re both good books and would be able to answer your questions better than I can.

6 Likes

Another thing I want to add.

For many people, forgiveness is not as simple as a one-time event. It’s a daily battle. And for those people, I would not expect them to win every single battle against unforgiveness that they encounter all through the day. The flesh will want to gravitate towards unforgiveness. The flesh will want to take back the forgiveness that was dished out the day before. It really is a war within the mind.

But if one wins more battles than they lose in this area, then the war will be won. Each battle is taken seriously, but it’s progress, not perfection. If one keeps losing battle after battle after battle with unforgiveness, the war will be lost.

4 Likes

When I was finally able to forgive some folks from my past, the urge to use or drink disappeared and hasn’t come back in decades since.

Living a life totally free of alcohol, neither repulsed or attracted by it, just put in a position of neutrality is total freedom to live happy, joyous and free.

3 Likes

I dont understand. Maybe i just dont understand forgiveness in that case…how do i forgive someone who has hurt me over and over again and has no remorse…how do i just forget that and move on., id love to i just dont know how…i feel like its like im saying what they did is ok…

3 Likes

Hello Starlight14, I hope that my personal experience on this topic can be of some use to you:

First I want to apologize if my English is not very good, but I will make every effort so that you can understand me. I come from a family disintegrated by violence and addictions, my parents were raised in similar environments. They were forced to get married because I was about to be born. My father’s alcoholism was very strong, he not only drank, cheated on her with other women, but he was also very violent and beat my mother. On the other hand, my mother has a disorder called post-traumatic stress disorder, due to different situations that she experienced from the death of her father when she was a child, to the difficult marriage and divorce with my father.

In the midst of these “unresolved” stories, I was born, I only lasted two years in the midst of my parents’ violence. From the age of two I lived under the care and protection of my maternal grandmother. And curiously he came out of the mouth of the wolf, to reach the house of hell hehehe.

My mother and my father restarted their marital lives, formed other families, my mother went to live in another state with her new husband and she had two children. When I was approximately nine years old, my mother came to visit my grandmother, and stayed at my aunt’s (her sister’s) house, let me tell you that at that time, for me, she was everything, she was my mother, and Despite being far from her, I was content with those annual visits I made because she could pay attention to me some days. It happened that that summer day, she called me and she told me:

Carlos, we need to talk, I want you to know that I am not your mother… your mother is your grandmother. I DO NOT LOVE YOU as a son, maybe I love you as someone in my family, but I want you to know that I already have a family, a husband and two children. I have already followed my path and you are not part of that life. That’s why I left you with my mom, do you understand what I’m telling you? I don’t want you to be close to my children or me, go on with your life. - I want you to know that those words sank into the depths of me, I didn’t care. I said nothing and just ended up going back to my grandmother’s house.

My mother, she has always been a very difficult woman in all aspects, difficult to treat as a person, difficult to understand, etc. She always tries to blame you for everything and always minimizes people. In her world only she matters. For years, we always fought, offended each other and hurt each other, I always expected a “forgive me” from her.

In May 2023, taking therapy with my ex-wife, she (my ex) told me exactly the same words that my mother used 40 years ago and my head exploded and I understood everything, I want to tell you that that same week where my relationship ended, My grandmother (the woman who always took care of me) passed away. She was falling apart my “world.”

In December 2023, I was alone at home, it was the first Christmas in which I would not be with my son, and I just wanted revenge, I wanted my mother to apologize for the harm she did to me, but something happened, something that didn’t happen. I can explain to you in simple words… that day I was crying in the dining room, sitting wondering why there was no justice, what had I done for my mother to hate me so much? I was a child, my “sin was being the son of a alcoholic”? and at that moment, only the following words came: - “You only need to forgive if you want to be free” -, I cried more and questioned why I had to do it… and it happened, at the moment when I was most angry, alone and sad. I felt: “Juana Flora, I forgive you” and I felt an instant liberation, as if thousands of kilos had been removed from my neck.

I am very clear about two things from that experience: One: I don’t hate her, I have no resentment towards her and I really hope that she does well and is better. Two: True forgiveness comes from the recognition of myself, that I have nothing to forgive. That she is human, fallible, limited and imperfect, but the fact that I forgive her does not mean that he wants her by my side, or that I want to share my life with her or that I want to be with her in some way. By forgiving her, I let go of the hate, pain and sadness that she caused me. But today I don’t want him to apologize for anything. I don’t love her, I don’t love her, but I don’t want her to be bad either.

I hope my story can be of help. I understand what you feel, I only share with you how I was able to free myself and find forgiveness.

May God fill you with blessings and cover you with Him protective mantle. Happy 24 hours.

4 Likes

If one’s forgiveness is conditional based on the offender’s remorse, then it will leave a lot of people on their mind in which hostile feelings and negative energy will push away that person’s peace and serenity.

Now if someone is continuously offending, boundaries are placed to protect oneself from further harm. But forgiveness can still happen.

Some people can do this easily, but it doesn’t seem like you’re one of those people. Thus, you won’t be able to just forget and move on. Forgiveness will be a daily decision. But one that will be worth it for peace of mind.

Forgiveness is not excusing the offender’s behavior. It’s making a choice to let go of your desire to hold resentment and make the offender pay and putting retribution into the hands of God.

I’m not going to expect everyone to embrace this practice. We live in a world that discourages forgiveness, and encourages vengeance.

2 Likes

@carlosc wow, thats quite a story…im sorry for all you have been through and inspired how youve come through it and found some peace, youve given me alot to think about…thank you so much for taking the time to share that.

@KevinesKay alot to think about…i will go away and give this some real work and thought because i want to be able to forgive. Thank you for taking the time to explain this to me.

3 Likes

I don’t think I did as good of a job as June Hunt or Lysa Terkeurst. It took me a long time to discover any good books on forgiveness. Most of them are pathetically inadequate. I hope you take the time to read them.

Blessings to you on this journey. You seek a good thing.

3 Likes

Thank you. I will definitely check out the books. I have tried to forgive and move on…i am not vengeful but because it still makes me angry i dont feel like my forgiveness is genuine so i will explore this for sure.

3 Likes

For me, this was the golden question!

I couldn’t wrap my head around forgiving someone who wasn’t sorry. In doing my step work with my sponsor, I was able to see that I often had my own wrongs in my resentments too. Not all of them however. Some childhood stuff absolutely wasn’tmy fault. But in other instances, I sure did a whole lot of finger pointing without ever looking at my own part. I often was the one who allowed it to continue and then cried victim when they continued to hurt me more and more. My wrong was often letting them. It’s been a pattern of mine.

People are human. Falliable. And they are where they are in their own evolution. Hurt people hurt people. Does that mean I need to continue to carry the weight of their wrongs, even if they can’t comprehend they are wrong? No. Forgiveness brings ME freedom from being held prisioner of the past hurts. I can have boundaries, and just because I forgive does NOT mean I allow them back into my life to hurt me again however.

For me, two people I had to forgive the most are dead. They can’t really acknowledge their wrongs. But I still deserved freedom. My dad, who was also an alcoholic/addict, caused some pretty deep childhood wounds with his actions and addictions. It’s a family thing and I was able to gain compassion for him in knowing that it was a generational cycle that we were BOTH actually repeating. In doing my own step work, I was able to connect to him on an entirely new level. I still gain new insights and understandings about him that help me to see things and him with a different understanding. Again, hurt people hurt people. He was a wounded child too and he did the best he could with what he had to work with.

The second person…I had honestly shoved so far down that I’d forgotten it. I was doing somehing called a ho’oponopono meditation. It’s repeating, “I’m sorry, please forgive me, thank you, I love you.” And just seeing what comes up in that state. And my childhood molestor came up. I cried and cried, then called my sponsor. She said this was my first real & deep act of forgiveneness. And it was. I forgot I held that, but after I felt so much lighter!

It also makes me think of when I make my own amends. Not everyone will forgive me and that’s ok. I just do my best to live my life differently and people can often see how much I’ve changed. But some want to continue to hold those grudges toward me. And that’s ok! I just do my best to keep my side of the street as clear as I can now in my sobriety. But I’m still not perfect. I can only see things where I’m at. Just like everyone else does.

This was a lot of info but your question had this all just pouring out of me! I hope some part of my experience may help. :heart:

5 Likes

Thank you so much Mandi, that does help alot, i am going to set about doing some proper forgiveness work as part of my recovery now i have read all of this brilliant insight :heart:

5 Likes

You’re absolutely worth it! I’m glad it helped :heart::heart::heart:

3 Likes