The Sound of The Smiths

Even though this isn’t a studio album technically, I’ve always really liked “Hatful of Hollow”, their John Peele BBC recordings.

2 Likes

I used to have one, but almost never used it because things like keeping it in tune and restringing it were a fucking nuisance. Sold it 10 yrs back or so when I offloaded several guitars I didn’t use much.

2 Likes

Agreed. Def the best of their multiple compilation albums. It’s a great one for when you’re in a Smiths mood but not sure what you want from them.

2 Likes

Yes, they sound so beautiful but seem like a lot of work…especially tuning 'em. I guess you could always just play through a chorus box to get sort of the same effect.

2 Likes

More or less what I do. I also play a telecaster over a Rickenbacker, although I’d love to have one someday since two heavy influences on my musicianship play them (Johnny Marr, Peter Buck).

I mostly play my acoustic though, which is an Ovation.

2 Likes

Yeah, Rickys are great. Always loved their look and sound.

1 Like

Saw this meme today :joy:

3 Likes

Ha! Love it. Uptempo songs, jangly guitars…but dark lyrics. I always liked that contrast.

1 Like

Frankly Mister Shankly!

I spent a lotta grade 10-11ish time pondering those lyrics… :orange_heart:

I want to live and I want to love
I want to catch something that I might be ashamed of

Frankly, Mr. Shankly, this position I’ve held
It pays my way and it corrodes my soul
Oh, I didn’t realize that you wrote poetry
I didn’t realize you wrote such bloody awful poetry, Mr. Shankly

Frankly, Mr. Shankly, since you ask
You are a flatulent pain in the ass

2 Likes

Right about the video. Probably the worst hair style Moz has ever had. Holy cow. I used to do a pretty decent version of "Every Day is Like Sunday ", but I haven’t practiced it in a while. Definitely another one to add to my “pop” repitoir.

1 Like

Oh man! I started listening to them about 26 years ago! Love the Smiths and Morresey! A group of guys that I knew at the time listened to them a lot. That’s how I learned about them.

2 Likes

For me it all started in 1986 when “The Queen is Dead” came out. Probably the saddest music I had ever heard at the time, but I loved it. It was such a refreshing contrast to the perky Pop drivel on Top 40 radio at the time.

2 Likes

I know what you mean about American news. So much attention is placed on Hollywood fluff, i.e. “who’s wearing what outfit at the Oscars?” Who cares?

1 Like

Hard to believe that record is 20 years old now! Hope all goes well with the 30K run. :+1:

1 Like

Oh, no way! Such an awesome bass player, and underrated too, in my opinion. That’s a shame.

1 Like

Oh, fuck. What awful news. That hurts.

1 Like