The Sound of The Smiths

Is anybody out there a fellow fan of The Smiths? What was it that turned you on to this band? Ever seen them live? Do you have a particular favourite album or song of theirs? Let’s discuss!

8 Likes

I saw the live in Preston years ago. Someone threw a coin and it hit Morrissey above the eye and it was bleeding all over. This was the first or second song, they went off and that was that.

3 Likes

That’s awful!! There always has to be that one creep in the audience who has to ruin it for everyone. What a shame.

1 Like

Yes! I first heard This Charming Man, or How Soon is Now, in an indie music club, and then got into other songs. I like the lyrics, introspective, I related to them a lot. I like Heaven Knows I’m Miserable Now.

2 Likes

I have so many favourites, but in particular I like “Wonderful Woman”. It’s one of their lesser-known tracks, but Johnny Marr’s guitar work on it is just gorgeous.

2 Likes

Definitely a Smiths fan! But also, it can put me in a depressed mood (I’m sure many people).

There is a light that never goes out reminds me of a particularly dark time.

Still love them. I was never a big Morrissey fan tho :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Agreed. The video is crap. Too bad, though, because it’s a great song.

1 Like

If you think The Smiths are depressing, listen to some Joy Division (another great Manchester band). :grin:

2 Likes

Funny I almost brought that up :joy: joy division doesn’t do that to me. Even though it’s just so tragic. Ian Curtis was a conflicted human being.

But I like New Order a lot more than Morrissey :yum:

2 Likes

Actually i LOVE Joy Division. New Order as well, but JD much more. Seems people have different perceptions of what depressing music is. The Carpenters make me depressed, and not at all because of Karen Carpenter’s death.

3 Likes

Meat is murder.
Heaven knows I’m miserable now.

The lyrics are pretty depressing.

And can’t forget, I won’t share you now…

I remember listening to a lot of smiths hungover at home or after festivals because it was chill and was the depressed state of mind I was in .

2 Likes

I actually like a lot of depressing music ha.

I love Julien Baker and she gets me feeling some kind of way sometimes.

My favorite New Order songs are actually the ones most reminiscent of JD! Ie. Procession

1 Like

Honestly, yes, some of it is hilarious now!! Really though, some of the lyrics are absurd and head scratching haha. Also why I like it

1 Like

I really like "Ceremony ". Hooky’s bass parts on that are awesome.

1 Like

I saw some live concert footage of Moz doing this song. His fans were rushing the stage, grabbing onto him, kissing him, etc. All these boquets of gladiolus being hurled at him. It was nuts!

1 Like

Probably my all-time favorite band.
Also Mozzer’s solo stuff up to and including “You are the Quarry”.

Have been in place to see Moz 4x, actually seen him just once. He cancelled twice (as he does) and I cancelled once. The time I did see him was when I drove from Boston to Brooklyn and saw him at the gorgeous King’s Theatre.

I had to leave during “Meat is Murder” though. I get it, but I’m also not interested in watching animals be slaughtered on a massive screen for 8 minutes.

3 Likes

Man, what an experience! What a beautiful theatre, too. Thank you for posting these pics. Moz has played in my town on a few occasions. Would have liked to have gone but his ticket prices are a little too steep for my budget. Oh, well. I’ll always have his records to enjoy at home.

I liked his solo stuff up until “Southpaw Grammar”. Pretty decent record overall, and the tracks “Boy Racer” and “Do Your Best and Don’t Worry” really rock, but the cover art sucked, and there was no lyric booklet included with it. Very minimalistic.

2 Likes

I constantly struggle with which studio album by The Smiths is the best of them. Depends on the day. Incredible when a band doesn’t really have any bad songs (lets pretend “Golden Lights” never happened), let alone no bad albums.

I really wish we could’ve seen what an album after “Strangeways Here We Come” would’ve sounded like. It was such a change in direction, a leap forward, but still very much The Smiths.

I think that Viva Hate is pretty close to what we would’ve gotten, it has stylistic similarities.

2 Likes

I’m also a musocian for 20+ years, and enjoy covering Smiths tunes.

I do a good one of “Stop Me If You Think You’ve Heard This One Before”, particularly.

2 Likes

Wow! Id love to hear it. Do you play a 12-string?

2 Likes