The Story of How Many Thousands of Men and Women Have Recovered from Alcoholism

Tell about your journey through the Big Book:
Did someone take you through the book?
Is there a particular page or story that really meant something to you?
Have you shared the book with others?
Did you begin to see new things in the book after sharing it with someone else?

3 Likes

I only have 2 days. Pardon me for not having much in site

I’ve been addicted for 18 years with many many many mess ups.

To be more brutally hounest i havnt read the big book too much and i think it is nessasary to read but the book i actually really enjoy reading is As Bill Sees It

As Bill Sees It is super interesting for me. I just got my own copy about a week ago
A short read or the word guide is a huge help for me and i love reading it

Then i also have a step book
I’ve read the 1st out of the 12 steps a lot a lot. I always re read the first step chapter because of my countless mess ups and im trying to understand

Then i have the new testamen that continues to amaze me

I will open the big book more

1 Like

Sounds like a great start. It’s a journey not a destination. I will tell you straight from my heart: I had many slip ups too. It wasn’t until someone sat down with me and read this book and explained every word in it that something just changed opened my eyes. Absolutely transformed my heart! I will pray for you noshame

1 Like

Welcome to the forum Chaim!
My favorite AA meeting is the big book study meeting. It’s early on Saturday morning and it’s just what I need to get my weekend started. We read a chapter (or a portion) and then open it up for discussion. The shares are always remarkable. Being only 2 years sober myself, I always walk away from that meeting with new insights. Chapter 3 is my favorite because it’s very relatable for me.

4 Likes

I’ve been going to Big Book study meetings for years, and it’s unusual for me to walk away without a new insight. They’re not always profound, but I get something fresh each time.

5 Likes

Acceptance Was the Answer, pg. 407, 4th edition. I was In rehab on day 5 and this old fella handed me the book. Knew my history and told me I should read the story. I’ve shared with others many times since and it made the most sense then & still does. Great post & thanks!

4 Likes

What a great story thanks for recommending it. Just read it and totally hit home!

I always go back to read how it works pg. 58-60 occasionally to remember and work on my recovery not just rest on my laurels, because my self will run riot.
—‘Rarely have we seen a person fail who has thoroughly followed our path. Those who do not
recover are people who cannot or will not completely give themselves to this simple program, usually men and women who are constitutionally incapable of being honest with themselves.’

5 Likes

Thats one amazing passage

Reminds me to be hounest so i can see my issues and maybe meditate and reflect. It’s not what needs to be changed in the world, its what needs to be changed in me and in my actions

2 Likes

Yeah for sure! I’m a super big fan of pointing people to pages 61-62 so very close :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Heyy I thought I’d look up the pages 61 and 62
I have 4th addition big book

I had a tough time grasping it
But
Im brough back down to earth

I was rough on myself about situations with people around me
But
Maybe
Just maybe…
Maybe me keeping composure helped the people around me and it was wayyy better the wiggin out
It doesnt mean they were right
Maybe I was too self centered on my additude to make sence of anything anyway
Im not always right either

I think im feeling lack of balence in much of my social life. Im not too sure…

Does your sponsor read with you? I would super duper highly recommend a sponsor who will take you through the Big Book

2 Likes

@Chaim

Ive been looking for a sponcer
I need to get to more meetings for possible sponcership
I got a phone number lastnight for possible rides to more meeting and I called but he hasnt gotten back

Is it bad if im picky

I know who I WANT to ask but is it a want and or should it be a I NEED THIS ASAP deal

Im not too sure

1 Like

Aah maybe it’s a I WANT TO ASK THE PERSON ASAP

I do think it is important to feel comfortable with my sponcer because the things i talk about might be hard to explaine if there is no trust

1 Like

Well, I really hope you can find someone. I will pray for you :pray:

1 Like

Thank you @Chaim

I will pray for you as well
God is just too good

I cant wait to see what today brings and how I can participate in a safe manner

I have the day offffffff bell ringing

There’s a meeting at noontime :slight_smile: