The story of my addiction and overcoming it

Hi my name is Amber. I’ve been sober almost 4 years. My story is a sad one. My life growing up was crazy. My parents fought, my brother and I didn’t get along, and my family was falling apart. I lost my mother when I was 11. She had a weight loss surgery and had problems with it. My father remarried. My brother moved out. My new siblings moved in. Everything was ok for a few months. Then it started. My stepbrother was mean. My dad forgot about me. I fought with my stepmom and dad everyday. Sure I had what I needed but never the attention I got from my mom. With I moved out at 18 I lived with my Nana. We started fighting and I met a guy and moved out. He was doing drugs around me. Not the first I saw this first hand. But at now 19 I decided I wanted to have fun with him and wanted him to love me. So I gave myself up to him physically and emotionally. We got high on meth together. He cheated on me and hit me. I lost everyone I loved. I stayed with him 6 months. High and stupid. One day it got bad… his friend was there and he had been up for days I was mostly sober… he wanted more meth that I had. I wouldn’t give it to him. He needed sleep needed to come down and he did on my face with spurs. He was so high he thought I had a knife and when I took ONE step towards him he come down with that spur over my face and shoulder and back and arm. Down the hall by the door I was on the floor crying his friend walked by and kicked me in the head with steel toe boots on. He laughed they left. I got up. Shaking called a friend and had him help clean me up. I then stayed with whoever would let me stay. Kinda burned the bridge with family. So crackhouses became home for a few weeks. One day I drove out to see my mother at the cemetery. I talked to her and it was like she spoke to me and told me “call your stepmom. She’ll help” so I did. She was upset hung up the phone when I told her everything. 5 mins later my dad called and told me to go to Nana’s and wait. So I did. He arranged for her to fill up my car buy me 2 packs of smokes and send me on my way home to him. I stayed with that night. I was going to leave in the morning but I fell asleep and slept for 2 days not once did I wake up. When I had the energy to wake up I was ready to go. Car packed and full of gas I started on my way home. A 4 hour drive took me 6 bc I had to stop so much. Detoxing and driving don’t go together at all. I was 30 mins from my dad when my car made a noise. I got out looked saw nothing and went on to my dad. He was so happy to see me but sad at the same time I looked sick and broken. The next morning he checked out the car and the trend on my tire was gone! Somehow I made it to him. We believe my mom was looking out for me. The next month was horrible. I hurt I cried I became me again. 2-23-13 I met the man of my dreams and he has kept me sober all this time. My parents, my soulmate, and my real brother, and even sisters are my biggest support. They pray for me and talk with me when I feel weak without them I wouldn’t be able to say I’ve been sober almost 4 years and counting.
Thank you for reading my story I hope it opens the eyes of some ppl :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Amazing story and glad you have the strength to fight for your sobriety…

3 Likes

What a remarkable yet sad story​:pensive: I’m so so proud of you for saving your life and repairing the relationship with your family :muscle::two_hearts: your mom would be very proud of you sweatie! Keep doing the right thing, your so young and many great doors of opportunity will open to you. What you did took a lot of courage and you should be extremely proud of yourself for choosing life and to go back home. You are worthy of so much love and especially to love you as you are, don’t ever let anyone tell you otherwise! Your story really choked me up and had me in tears :pensive: I wish to God I’d have had a daughter like you but unfortunately I became infertile at 38 yrs old so I’m grateful for my only son who’s 26. I’m 45 and have multiple addictions to alcohol which I’ve been clean from for 3 yrs and 5 month’s, cocaine I’ve been clean from for 15 years and opiates which were my worst problem and at first I was using only pain pills then got introduced to heroin in April of 2015 I used heroin for a yr and was on opiates total for 19 yrs and have now been clean for 8 month’s and 3 weeks and on Thursday December 8th will be 9 month’s clean for me. I have no family except my son, step son, boyfriend of 16 yrs and my 2 fur babies. All my family has passed away and when I lost my mom October 31st 2011 I hit the bottle hard then on November 29th 2014 I lost my doggy daughter Iris to metastatic breast cancer and 4 month’s later is when I started using heroin​:pensive: I’m in IOP and don’t associate with anyone that drinks or does drugs and in several months begin training to be a recovery coach :muscle::two_hearts: in recovery and we are worth it! God bless you and thanks for sharing your story​:v:

3 Likes

Thank you for sharing your story @amann2011 and congratulations on 4 years clean .thats truely something big and you are a inspiration .so thank you for that . Im so happy you found your life back . And life is a blessing and you gained your family back. Thank you and stay on your path . :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Tip my hat to you .:blush:

2 Likes

Thank for that with support of others and God we can do great things! Stay strong and thank you again!

1 Like

Hello my name is Amanda I been trying to be sober now for 15 years now I’ve now been sober for 30 days thank god and my higher power and sponsor and the home of NA… I lost my husband to this addiction and watched my kids hurt more then I’ve ever seen them hurt before this right here is what did it for me I have seen so much have lost so many from it. I cannot do this anymore I love life and my children and I know more then anything. I have to do this for me before anyone else and I am proud to say I am doing it for me first and then my children they need there mother since they can not have there daddy… This is my life

1 Like

such an amazing story :slight_smile: you are someone to look up to <3

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing @Aborror im sorry for you loss… and you are right : you are the most important in your life and your kids do needs their Mother . Be Proud and stay clean . Keep your head up and walk the path . You are awesome

2 Likes

The best thing to do is separate yourself from anyone you did drugs with. Your kids will thank you!