The True Cost of Addiction-not just the Monetary Cost $

I hear you!!! Congats!!

3 Likes

Thanks so much!!! And welcome to this forum! :smiley:

2 Likes

I am new to it but it seems so awesome!! I know the cost of addiction. It is devastating…

3 Likes

One day at a time

2 Likes

Yea that’s totally true. It’s way more than the cost of my 12 pack per day. I would panic that I didn’t make any food for my kids so I would order out. I would feel bad about being a shit mom so I would hand them my phone and they would order whatever off Amazon. That’s really sad just typing it out. I’m on day 3

3 Likes

Starting Day 11 and l’ve saved AU$230 according to my stats! It’s incredible how indulgent we can be in active addiction and not even bat an eyelid at the money we ‘piss up the wall!’

1 Like

How do you keep track of money saved on this app? Or are you just keeping your own log ?

1 Like

My tracker says a savings of $122,003.28. Which is $80 a day (the cost of a bundle of heroin when I got sober) for 1,525 days. However, the actual savings is most likely much higher as my minimum was a bundle a day. This excludes alcohol and crack, which I often purchased as well.

3 Likes

That is absolutely unreal. Just goes to show how much addiction can literally cost you

2 Likes

Hey there! I will try my best to explain it,but hopefully someone will jump in if l explain it wrong! Here goes-
Go right to the screen with the forest wallpaper where you see the small white clock and the quote of the day.
Press the arrow under the quote.
A screen showing your app name and several headings should pop up.
Press ‘statistics’
Then press ‘savings’
Prepare to be shocked or pleasantly surprised at the very least!

Happy sobriety and saving❤️

1 Like

Have I saved any money through soberity, YES indeed. My estimated savings so far tells me that I’ve saved 688 US Dollars! Isnt that neat?
I should just find it in myself to quit tobacco aswell. With that one eliminated aswell I should easily be able to save 12 000 dollars a year!
For that kind of money I could even visit the US twice a year!!!

Other benefits: I’ve also taken 2 kilos off my waist which is a highly appreciated side effect too. I’m at normal weight, but a bit slimmer and tighter figure doesnt really hurt me :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This post is to inspire newcomers in the early days of their sobriety journey❤️

I’m on Day 17 today, and happy to announce that l have saved AU$390 by not downing my DOC!!
And for the doubters, my actual bank balance is reflective of that, so it’s not just POTENTIAL savings!

But that is only one aspect of the way my life has turned around in a couple of weeks.

My children now want to spend time with me alone. My skin and eyes are brighter. I’m definitely less bloated and less jittery.
I am falling asleep more easily,staying asleep and waking earlier. I am motivated and am regaining energy to do chores around the home. I am baking and cooking meals for the family again. I have applied for new jobs and am excited for the future!

A few short weeks ago I could hardly summon up the enthusiasm to get out of bed in the mornings,and was just going through the motions of life.

I had completely lost my ‘jour de vivre’,and if l had been completely honest with those around me, l would have said l was just hoping l wouldn’t wake up one morning!

It was a miserable existence. I knew my family deserved better. I deserved better.
I know l am only at the start of this marathon, and l know l could trip at any moment, but for now l’m feeling strong, and l’m doing this!!

With TS members on the sidelines cheering me on, l’m in a good position right now!

All the very best to you all in your race out there! :heart::pray:

4 Likes

I wish being sober would make me more IT savvy!!:weary::rofl: l wanted to emphasise the first sentence in my last post for effect-as you can see that obviously DIDN’T work!

2 Likes

How do I set my tracker to see this?

2 Likes

All the best and happy saving!!

2 Likes

Day 20! Savings AU$470!! Woot woot!!:partying_face:

It feels amazing!

And for the Debbie Doubters -
yes, l am a real alcoholic and the last nearly 3 weeks have been bloody hard. I was a daily drinker of mostly Sparkling Wine. I couldn’t wait to get up in the morning and go to the bottle shop.

I drank 1-2 bottles most days at the rough cost of about AU$25 a day.

I would rarely have any money left in my bank account from the fortnight before,on the night l was paid. This time l had AU$700 left!!

There are so many other positives about being sober, but this is just one of the most instantly visible and rewarding ones!

I urge everyone to give it a go, or if already doing it, keep up the great work!! :pray::heart:

3 Likes

We used to make our own wine so we didn’t actually spend that much money on our drinking. It was about $1 per bottle of wine then a single drink of scotch or brandy. I think it was total about $5-10 each day. But I’m now at almost 1150 days sober so that is $5750-11500 dollars saved. And now that my husband has really cut back on his drinking there’s probably another $5000! Wow.

But….I also started drinking teas, sparking waters, and sometimes NA drinks. So I probably spent some of that money on replacements!! :joy:

Other than that I got a tattoo for my 1 year soberversary

2 Likes

At least you are putting good stuff into your body now, even if it costs a bit more!

A tattoo, cool! What is it of, may l ask? I’m not into tattoos for myself at all, but l love seeing some ink that is meaningful on someone else.

1150 days sober! Amazing!:+1: That is not within the realm of possibility for me! But then, l’m only on Day 20!! Easy does it, Andy! :weary::rofl: Rome wasn’t built in a day!

1 Like

The tattoo is a unalime with a lotus flower added. It’s a representation of my life journey and where I am now in sobriety

2 Likes