The True Cost of Addiction-not just the Monetary Cost $

Just looking at the virtual money l have saved by being sober for the last 8 days-AU$175.00!! Wow!:open_mouth: During my active drinking l would only buy enough alcohol to last me for the day —anything from $20-30 which didn’t really break the bank. The last few years l would never stock up because l would just drink it all in one sitting.l didn’t trust myself. Because l had to hide my drinking from my family,l would buy smaller bottles of wine which were a lot easier to hide and dispose of.They were a lot more expensive too! But l didn’t care,as long as they served my purpose.
This is another reason why lm loving this app. It’s so satisfying to see my hard earned money adding up. I’m already starting to think about all the healthy and fun ways l can spend it! Eg;plants,a holiday,yoga membership, beauty/skin care products,clothes,shoes,eating out,spoiling my girls…the list goes on!
How much were others out there spending on their DOC? And what do you all spend your $$ on now that you are clean/sober?

14 Likes

I did the same! It adds up quick! My tracker says I’ve saved over $13,000!!! Holy moly!

I use my booze money on music gear now!

Rock on!

5 Likes

The amount I saved is over $50,225. Maintaining a daily life of pills and cocaine in addition to alcohol was a very expensive lifestyle. I entered a conservative amount of $60 a day into the app but I’m sure it was more. That’s only mine, my husband is an addict too and I never took into account his daily spend. Addiction took a lot from us including a couple houses. Makes me sick to think about how much I’ve lost.

5 Likes

This blows my mind! Good for you! :blush::heart_eyes::star_struck:

2 Likes

According to the app I’ve saved over €3000, but I think it should be a lot more as I have a lot more money to waste now and I don’t think that active addiction would’ve intervened with my income, so I think it’s probably around €10000. And I’m only 18 :sweat_smile: And I’ve wasted almost all of that money on unhealthy food…:man_facepalming: I should definitely work on being responsible with my money

4 Likes

Mine saves me about 3k a month.

But the true cost to me is the lost relationships due to my addiction.

I can save money, but I’ll never get that time back.

9 Likes

About 600 -800 a month. Bottom shelf type of liquor but my food choices, energy drinks are added into that because I’m not as compulsive when I’m sober. It’s not just the drink. The drink requires more than itself.

4 Likes

Been sober for almost ten months. I’ve saved over 7K, and I believe that.

4 Likes

I was spending £600+ a month and that doesn’t include any drinks out or bottles of wine for my partner so could be more like £700+. I’ve paid off lots of debts, decorated the house, bought my Mrs all the things she always wanted like a gold locket to put a picture of her mum and her brother in. Also a £10.000 car instead of all the old bangers we used to replace every year bc we couldn’t afford the maintenance. New clothes, meals out TV 's, stereos, game consoles, donating money. There’s more but you get the idea, funny though bc hardly any of it I’ve spent on myself. In the past all I ever thought about was me and my happiness and I could find that in a bottle but now a good book and some peace and quiet now and again is all I need.

6 Likes

It’s been good for my recovery and fun spending my beer money on things that help me appreciate recovery. I just bought a boat! She will drink up a lot more of my beer money.

7 Likes

I’m with you in saying the true cost of addiction is the ruin of our mental, physical, spiritual and social health. And yes, our finances suffer greatly too

For me it’s hard to really make an accurate estimate of the money not spend on my addictions. I quit smoking weed and tobacco over six years ago, and quit the rest 2.5 years ago. Very roughly I’d say at least €40,000. Probably lots more. But I don’t have that money in my account. Although I am able to save a little bit these days, while on a very modest income. And had some great holidays and bought new bicycles and stuff for my house.

5 Likes

I like that you say it how it is: money not spend. Doesn’t mean you have it saved in your bank account :frowning:
And not to forget some people take out loans for their DOC.

I admire how you quitted step by step, that’s what I intend to do too. I throw out weed 2.5 years, cigarettes a little over 2 years, but still struggling with the bottle :’(

3 Likes

Rough estimate on alcohol as I was a binge drinker, so tough to find an accurate daily amount $22,500 US and cigarettes rough estimate $66,500 US (13 years quit!).

For a grand total of $89,000 US. :slightly_smiling_face:

9 Likes

Amazing! Sounds like music is the gift that keeps on giving in your case by keeping you sober!

2 Likes

. Addiction took a lot from us including a couple houses. Makes me sick to think about how much I’ve lost.

Wow! $50,000 (is that US dollars,Lisa?) Like you say “Addiction took a lot from us” The $$ losses are easier to count and see-it’s the relationship losses and damage that are sometimes harder to account for.

3 Likes

Amazing isn’t it, how much we are willing to pay to put toxins in our body that are scientifically proven to shorten our lifespan?! Insanity at its best!

3 Likes

That’s the thing about money, if we aren’t spending it on one thing then we’re spending it on another.

Hopefully the ‘other’ for you was money better spent.

1 Like

It truly is! I think we all eventually find out jam, that one thing that keeps us in rhythm with life. Too bad my jam has to be so dang expensive as my wife would say, probably. :rofl:

3 Likes

I could black out on 10 dollars so my total is not so much. But still, that was maybe 100 dollars a month, and in early sobrietry I could splurge regularly on earrings, books, etc, and still have change.

3 Likes

Oh boy I couldnt even imagine the amount of money spent on drugs over 22 years :frowning: but besides money, the cost of addiction for me (as I’m sure many others can relate) was losing relationships, losing out on being apart of amazing memories with family, losing out on a “normal” life as a youth and as an adult, losing my inner peace, alot of losses that money just can’t buy back. Addiction takes sooo much from us. Some things we can’t get back. And it sucks but all we can do is keep moving ahead. And making the best of our sober lives now

5 Likes