The urge got me

Good morning guys I feel like shit. Not physically but mentally and emotionally I let the urge get the best of me yesterday. So it’s day 1 for me again I have to be stronger and more disciplined I can do this we can do this.

14 Likes

Just dust yourself off and keep going. You know what you need to do. It’s hard but I think once you get through a long enough period, it gets easier. I’m on these tough early shaky days so I get it.

4 Likes

Thank you so much we will do this together

5 Likes

You can do this!
Xx

3 Likes

Hi Ron, sorry to hear it, it sucks when we choose poison over life. We feel like shit; I know the feeling.

Pick yourself up and change something this week. You saw this coming; you posted about it:

You need to “play the tape” or “play the track” through to the end when that addiction voice starts speaking. It’s been your habit forever to drink on weekends. It’s only natural that the voice would get stronger and stronger the closer Friday comes.

Since you know this, you can prepare for it. Suggestions:

• Attend 3 meetings on Friday afternoon and evening, whenever you need to be safe. Attend more meetings if you need to. There are online meetings just about 24 hrs a day Online meeting resources and there are in person meetings too www.AA.org
  • Hang out here on Talking Sober (in between meetings maybe? :innocent:)

You have permission to do anything that is safe and legal, to stay sober.
Cake for dinner? Yes.
Go-karts? Yes.
3 or 5 meetings in one day? Yes.
Walking for hours and hours listening to angry music? Yes.
Etc etc.

It’s simple. You have permission to do anything safe and legal to stay sober. Dig deep and get creative. And get support from people working sobriety. It’s a game changer.

10 Likes

Strongest thing I ever did…asked for help. What things are you doing to enhance your sobriety?

6 Likes

Hi Ron, I’m on Day 2 again, fell off on Day 22. I’m trying to learn from my mistakes, started to write down anything about my days, bad or good, in the journal. I have a positive outlook that I can and will do this. Stay strong, stay connected :pray:

5 Likes

I too relapsed 2 weeks ago. I ruined Mothers Day. I learned that I need to attend more meetings and plan my days when I feel the urge coming. Let’s put in the work together!

5 Likes

Good for you, coming on here and talking. Shows you are taking steps forward. This path often has ups and downs. Not sure I would have posted today until reading yours.

I did the same thing. Was so close to one full week alcohol free. Wasn’t so much the urge for me, just didn’t refuse when a drink was passed to me. Wasn’t strong enough and didn’t want to explain myself or at least that’s my excuse. In true addict fashion, since I had 1 already, grabbed a 4 pk of pints on the way home and finished em. Last few times this would lead to a 5 day bender, so the goal now is to not drink today and break my previous pattern.

3 Likes

Don’t beat yourself up too much ! I was at 9 months and then threw it all away !
Remember that alcohol doesn’t really ADD anything to your life.
If alcohol were so great, really, why not just drink it STRAIGHT (i.e. pure) ?
Well, the reason would be that barely one glass of straight alcohol would probably kill most people on the spot, or shortly thereafter.
You can do it, we all can… I’m back on day 6…

3 Likes

It’s ok Ron…I know it feels like a huge step back
But think of it this way.
You’ve admitted it and are trying again… So as far as I’m concerned, that’s two steps forward.
Just keep at it. One day at a time. :pray::pray:
Prayers for you Ron.

3 Likes

Aw don’t get discouraged all you can do when you fall down is get back up and try again, maybe figure out what triggered you and try to find different ways to cope instead of letting the urge get the best of you

2 Likes

Thinking of you @Ron12 how are you hanging in there?

1 Like

Hey thank you so much I’ve been trying to keep busy. I went camping last night and had a great time sober. We are going to beat this I can feel it

2 Likes

Awesome! @Ron12 No hangover this morning for me which is a WIN! :tada:

1 Like

Congratulations @Ron12 That’s a good start. I know one of my triggers is boredom. Keeping busy helps a lot! I’m glad you had a great time camping!:tent::milky_way::fire:I love searching for new emojis, I’m a nerd :nerd_face:

1 Like

Congrats! :tada: that’s awesome let’s keep it up

Thanks so much I see that keeping busy really helps and I’m a nerd also :joy::joy:

Ron, there is a point when you must realize you can’t think your way to sobriety. Will power has little to do with it and trying alone often leads to repeatedly failing. If you really want to get sober you will need help and need to learn the tools to help you.

One of the more profound things someone said to me at an AA meeting was “I heard you share and I thought to myself, you are going to drink again, remember, you can’t be to dumb for AA but you sure can be too smart for it”. I didn’t know how to take it. But I realized because I was obviously glowing with my newly found sobriety he knew from experience and what I shared that I would likely convince myself that eventually it would be different… Like so many other people do. I’m an alcoholic and I will never be able to drink normally. I still haven’t drank and I often replay those words in my head. Alcoholics have an allergy to alcohol which creates a craving. If you never have the first drink you will never be drunk! It’s not the 10th drink it’s the first one…

4 Likes