The urge is strong

Had a particularly shitty day at work today. The urge to drink was absolutely overwhelming, and only got stronger as I started to tell myself that I wasn’t going to do it. The attempts to reason with myself, the lies about being able to control it this time and I “deserve” it after the day I had…all my old habits. Came home, grabbed a raspberry lemon ginger kombucha and sat on the couch and started watching Love on Netflix (saw people suggest it the other day in a different thread!). Seems like a small thing, but it was huge for me coming off of a near 3 month relapse. Just posting here to hold myself accountable.

18 Likes

I did the exact same thing today!! Only difference is i got a glass of 7up and turned on an episode of Flaked. Same thing…i saw someone metion it on here as well. Would have been so easy for me to sneak a drink without anyone knowing too as my wife took the kids to the park to play for a couple of hours. DEFINITLY PROUD OF BOTH OF US AND ON TO ANOTHER SOBER DAY TOMORROW!!!

11 Likes

This is super helpful. Thank you for sharing. I’m only a few days in, and knowing I’m not alone and seeing your experiences, is a great support. Thank you!

5 Likes

You know what i keep thinking about when i start thinking i deserve just one drink is the absolute great feeling of condidence and happiness i feel when i first wake up in the morning and know that i didnt give into the temptation. It really makes me feel good lol! I know it sounds hoakie or whatever because i am only on day 3 but its true! Thanks for letting me know i’m not the only one struggling with the day to day.

7 Likes

Y’all rock!! We are rocking this sobriety thing one day at a time! That’s all it takes, one foot in front of the other, one good decision after another. And @Diesel don’t feel like you can’t be proud of waking up clear headed every day- that shit is amazing whether three days in or 300 days in that’s something to be proud of! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Thanks kpear your awesome! Keep up the good work! I have really started looking forward to getting on here a couple times a day and just communicating with everyone. Its really starting to be a tool that i can use to be sober and i look forward to hearing how everyone is doing or if i can help.

2 Likes

Ps kpear, i really enjoy the show love. Its really quirky and funny!

1 Like

@kpear826…good job! I hear ya on the urges. Mine were so strong yesterday that I went to the grocery store and walked around with the intention of buying something. But, I persevered. I maybe shouldn’t have, but walking down that alcohol aisle reminded me of what I’ve been through and posted about this week. Not worth a slip. So, I left with some flavored water and ice cream and had a good night. We deserve ice cream after a hard day, not drinks. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Amen Hamluv16! I think ice cream sounds way better than a hangover lol!

1 Like