There is no right way to drink

Admitting that you have a problem is a big step and you have just tackled that one, congratulations! :confetti_ball:
Welcome here! Take your time to read all about your addiction and learn how to beat it.
It helps to be here much!
If you need help: just ask! There is allways someone around to talk to.

Ps, I’m more then 1 year sober myself, my addiction is alcohol. It’s doable! Just focus on today and not further :facepunch:

1 Like

Hi Trisha, You sound a lot like me! I had about 10 years of going to AA, inpatient and outpatient rehab, counseling and short courses of Antabuse. Most of that time I was still drinking and only interested in sobriety only for as long as needed to get me out of my latest jackpot.

When I did get sober, I had what I thought at the time was a mild hallucination, which I have since come to recognize as a spiritual experience. During my last arrest for DUI, time stood still and I clearly heard a voice saying “Everything is gonna be alright. I’ll be able to stop drinking now.”

Following that, I went to my arraignment and was released on bail. The next day, I went to my doctor and went back on Antabuse. The next Monday, I went back to counseling and told her the truth. After a few weeks, I had to stop the Antabuse due to side effects. So I went back to AA and did what was suggested. My attitude was to learn and absorb what they had, which was contented serene sobriety. Meanwhile, I was dealing with my legal consequences, including giving a breath sample every day for 5 months. I was sentenced to 3 years, most of it on house arrest and supervision, so I was able to continue my job.

I knew I had to change my alcohol intake. And I knew that to do so, I had to have an attitude of humble willingness. And I was granted that willingness, sitting in my car waiting for the cop to walk up to the window. I cannot tell you how to find that willingness for yourself. But when you do, make it your one job to get to bed sober. One day, just a few hours really, at a time.

From that moment on, honestly, everything has been alright. I’ve stayed sober no matter what. I’ve found that peace that I was desperately seeking in the bottle. I pray you find it too. Get busy being sober - nothing is more important than that. :pray:

2 Likes