Thinking of a hobby to pick up instead of hanging out and drinking

I used to love to draw when I was a kid not so much anymore thinking of starting to do photography I’ve always been interested in that . What are some of yall favorite hobbies to do to keep busy and keep your minds off drinking ?

Cross stitch is really fun and crafty. Have you seen the vulgar ones? If not, look em up, they are hilarious.

Also if you’re at all handy building things is fun. Benches, tables, stuff like that. Small home renovations are awesome too.

5 Likes

My health has taken on great importance. I walk a lot at work, then also when I get home. Building my car audio system, lotsa research. Spending quality time with the wife, going on a date tonight. Sleeping, consistently and regularly getting 8 hours.

5 Likes

Gardening, planting things that live, is very gratifying to me. Hiking is a great way to be a part of nature. Rockhounding is way fun, but it’s not for everyone. Board games, lol?? There’s got to be something else to do… :slight_smile:

Service work! I terrorized my community when I was using. Time to give back.

2 Likes

I enjoy going for walks, listening to music, diacovering new music, going to the gym, Facebook, tho not a hobby…I’ll clean…some apps, movies, TV… Some shows I’ve gotten into which I never knew even existed cuz my mind was so preoccupied.

I’ve always thought about being motivational speaker and speak to kids in school about the dangers of gangs drinking and drug use I used to do it when I was younger at my brother’s school they had us tell them about where they would end up if they chose that life

I got into crafting like stuff to hang on my walls, like dream catchers or paintings. I also learned beading while I was in treatment but it can be a little tedious. I also get into organizing when I’m really bored.

1 Like

There’s actually a pretty good route to that through AA. Once you get some clean time together you can get on the H&I committee and carry the message into institutions

1 Like

I can actually enjoy life today and want to live life. I see to be miserable and wanted to die. But I’m glad you brought this thread up again. It’s getting to be that time of year…
I like to do photography, video and board games, spend time with my wife and family, hang with friends, sit on my porch and watch the world go by with a nice cup of coffee, drawing, writing, reading, walking, going for a drive and enjoying my surroundings, going to a park and looking at the view, vacationing, going to meetings, having get togethers, thrift shopping, eating at new restaurants, baking, listening to music. I could go on…
Some things I’d like to start are, biking, cooking, learn to play guitar, do 1+ nice thing for someone everyday, go back to school for social work, crafting, going to the gym, work a 9-5 job not weird hours like a work now…

I really need to work on the 8 hours or sleep every night. Im normally at 6.

I cannot extol the benefits of good sleep enough. Friggin crazy how I got by on 3-4 hours of drunk sleep a night

1 Like

Yeah, i need too get my ass in gear . Actually since i stopped drinking ive gotten less, even though its better sleep than when i was hammered every night. But im averaging 6, where before it was closer to 8 when id pass out early.
I have more energy now, and my workouts are at night after the kids go to bed so i need to cut down my phone time after they go to bed and workout as soon as they’re sleeping.

Electronics before bed always keep our minds active for sure!

I’m gardening again. Flowers and veggies. It’s funny how I “never had the time” when I was drinking - and bloody amazing how much I’ve gotten done in the last month. I actually used a weed eater today for the very first time.

I’m also on a quest for lovely mocktail recipes. Determined to make cookout season festive without booze…

1 Like