Thinking of checking out AA

I just found out you can attend an open AA meeting as a non-member just to see if it might be a good fit. I’m seriously considering it. I’m at almost 3 months now. It’d be nice to meet some other folks who don’t drink. Is it unethical to do this if I don’t plan on doing any steps?

1 Like

Not at all. The only requirement to attend closed meetings is a desire to stop drinking. Closed meetings would be your best bet if you want to be sober.

3 Likes

I’m very excited to hear you’re interested. Meetings have been a huge part of my recovery and I’ve met some great new friends. Definitely go and check out different meetings. I love the women only meetings but everyone is different so you have to find what fits you best. When you find a favorite that you’ll be attending every week then usually you call that your home group. The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking. You’re not required to get a sponsor and work the steps but I would suggest getting phone numbers to build your network.
Let us know how it goes.

5 Likes

Go for it.
There is no requirement to do the steps… at least not in any groups I’ve ever attended.
It may be recommended, but you don’t have to.
Some of the members with the longest sobriety (40+ years) never did them.

Each meeting group is different, so shop around until you find one where you feel you “fit”. Definitely worth it.

2 Likes

Thats good your checking out meetings wish you well , ive a close friend since primary school who i still see and phone hes just behind me when he came to AA hes 32 years sober without a program im 35 with a program what ever keeps you sober , keep on trucking

6 Likes

You can join any meeting at any time. Just show up. Whether you work the steps or not is up to you.

4 Likes

There is no law that says you must do the steps….it is a suggested program. I LOVE open meetings!

I’ve never gotten a sponsor or worked the steps but I still love what AA has to offer. The sharing of stories has been wonderful for me

4 Likes

I want to thank you all for the encouragement. I attended a women’s meeting. I learned so much from them. One was almost 5 decades sober! This is now a part of my journey. I know it will help me to maintain my sobriety. I’m grateful! :heart::pray::star_struck:

11 Likes

Thats great !! Im glad you went.

2 Likes

I’m so glad you went and enjoyed it. I learn so much at my women meetings too. They have so much wisdom to freely share with the rest of us.

3 Likes