Third day “milestone”

I felt good about day 1 and 2. But now it’s Friday night, and tomorrow is Saturday night… I don’t know why that matters to me so much. Normally I’d be drinking after work. I work 10 hour days in healthcare which is not an excuse but damn… a drink would be nice right now. I pulled into my parking spot and cried. Why?? Cuz I can’t drink. How stupid is that. I’m sitting on my couch and don’t even have any motivation to do anything else. This is so stupid. I’ve been an emotional roller coaster all day. My mom called me and tried to give me all these ideas on what to do and I just cried. And the disappointment in her voice. I won’t drink because I’ll lose my relationship. But f*ck man.

14 Likes

It’s rough at first, no doubt. Try to stay busy, keep hydrated, read and participate in this forum. It does get better. I’m on day 19, I had a lot of the same kind of days but they’re less now. One day at a time.

7 Likes

Something that has helped me through the first few days is to say things like “oh look, a craving. I don’t need that because I’ve beaten this addiction.” It helps make the cravings easier and eventually their presence becomes less prominent because you know that you don’t REALLY need it

2 Likes

I know it’s really hard this early on :heart: we’ve all been there and I’m sending you a hug. :hugs: What we have done in our brains with addiction is to connect pathways between the substances and the gratification part of our brain. I like to call it a “highway.” One drink and that highway lights up like the Fourth of July. What we need to do is shut down that highway and start building new roads to that gratification part of your brain. It’s not easy at first, but continue to keep at it. Maybe every time you come home, for example,
go straight for the bubble bath. Get your favorite bubble scents candles, a book, music, or whatever you like :blush: But keep doing calming things so that you can start making those new associations. As time goes by and the stronger that new “road” gets, the stress will start to decrease during that time. This isn’t the answer for your whole journey, but it may help you for that routine trigger time. I hope this helps a bit :heart::heart::heart:

7 Likes

It will get better. Let yourself have a bad day. Go to bed early, tomorrow is a new day

These helped me…try it and if it doesnt feel right, try a different angle

3 Likes

Thank you everyone. It means a lot.

3 Likes

You will be up and down for a while yet but dont lose heart and definitely let yourself have a bad day. And theres no shame in crying l, youve probably been holding that in for a long time and its way healthier to let it out.

Congratulations on making it to day 3 you’re doing great

2 Likes

Just reach out to people in your sober community, dont know if you have tried anykind of recovery groups 12step programs? They have lists of online meetings and stuff that help alot of people out if you might consider that something to encourage you or help with the emotions? Stick with your sobriety it will get better dealing with the feelings and learning how to cope with the grieving and loss of alcohol use in your life. Like lossing a friend, a narcissistic, abusive, friend who doesnt want us to live free from its grasps

1 Like

Meetings will make it easier wish you well

4 Likes

I think many of us, at least I did, went through those emotions. So, you are in good company.

Here is the good news: you only have to go through all of this once…as long as you dont pick up that first drink.

Getting sober is about re-learning how to live. My suggestion, start by being active here. Read, participate, and be open for advice and suggestions.

4 Likes

it’s like looking into a mirror of my former self. Everything your experiencing is absolutely normal, don’t expect your mum to understand how you feel bc those tears are not a disappointment, those tears are a sign of your strength. You could take the easy option and drink or drug instead but No your being brave and facing the uncomfortable and the unknown. Better the pain of discipline than the pain of regret.
You are doing amazing :+1:

4 Likes

We just had a nice lady who is a nurse join our 6pm meetings. That is the witching hour for most people getting off a stressful day at work. That’s why there are so many sobriety meetings from various groups at this time. Join an online meeting or in person if available.

1 Like

U sitting there crying over the fact that u can’t drink is NOT stupid at all. I literally grieved the “loss” of my DOC when I quit. Yes it has caused so much pain and suffering and despair but it was a HUGE part of my life and unfortunately it has been my “constant” for decades. It’s only natural to have emotion over something being let go of. And there’s fear of the unknown thrown in there too! And so many questions about how will I cope now? What do I do with myself? Or whatever other questions u may have. Things will get easier :slight_smile: and then they may get harder and then easier lol but as long as we don’t pick up our DOCs then we have a fighting chance to sort our lives out, and be happy, and build healthier relationships etc. Ur doing good! Just stick with it :slight_smile:

1 Like

First off, if it helps at all this stranger right here thinks you’re absolutely amazing and your a hero! It’s the hardest thing I think anyone could ever do and 90 + percent of the people out there have no idea. but I do!! and as somebody whose been in your shoes I’m telling you you’re a goddamn hero!!

It sounds like you have people that care for you and people that want to help so tell you’re a pretty lucky person too! but don’t let that be a reason to be extra hard on yourself, you’re not disappointing anyone right now. as a matter of fact even complete strangers like me look to you with admiration!! in time as you string days together and as you become that person that’s been crying to get out, that you kept locked away for however many years you drank… one day you’re going to realize that you are that beautiful person and whether or not your life is perfect is irrelevant because you’re going to have a satisfaction to you and a contentment to you that you’ve never been able to obtain while drinking. It’s really just a matter of combining time with that absolute mindset you stated initially “I will not drink”.

In my opinion You’re not obligated to do anything because you’re already doing the hardest thing. I have happily thought at the end of the day “what did I accomplish today” and the only answer I had was “I stayed sober” and that’s okay; that is fucking awesome! Now we do always want to make sure that we’re not just having dry drunk days or weeks, but the fact that you’re on here tells me you’re probably actively searching so that’s great!

keep up the good work, be easy on yourself but hold yourself accountable.

1 Like

I know it’s hard for me too ! I feel pressured to drink all the time ! Your not alone ! I agree with whar others are saying on here like keep your mind busy with hobbies, chores , etc and also surround yourself with supportive and sober people and separate from the people in your life thar are the opposite. I’m new to sobriety myself so I don’t have alot of experience like other people on here but I hope this helps ! You got this !! :+1:

1 Like