This is day one....again

Day one of being alcohol free…well at least 12hours of not having a beverage.
It sucks, and I’ve tried this before and failed. I’m just tired of feeling like garbage the next day as well as blacking out parts of my life because I can’t control myself once I start drinking…I HATE that I don’t even know what I enjoy anymore (ie hobbies) because for years everything has been alcohol related.
I wish I was the type who could have one or two drinks and can call it a day but it’s a shot in and there goes the rest of my day/night.

Here’s to trying again.

14 Likes

Welcome to Talking Sober! There’s help here so that you never again feel compelled to drink. Here’s some threads to help you start.

3 Likes

Welcome :hugs:

I am on Day1 too, we can do this! :muscle:
Being active here kept me sober for for 879 days before I relapsed a few weeks ago.
You have came to a great place full of supportive people.
I’m glad your here with us :smiling_face:

5 Likes

Glad you are here. The days seem to go slowly at first but then when you start to feel better it seems to get easier. There is so much experience and wisdom here. Stay strong and keep in touch.

3 Likes

Welcome to our community :wave:

One is too many and 1,000 isn’t enough. I’m right there with ya. I’ve learned the only guarantee is to never take that first drink. It’s the only one we have any power over. Say no to that voice in your head. Over and over and over. You can do it :muscle::heart:

6 Likes

I feel this deeply. Idk what I enjoy anymore either. Everything for years has been surrounded by alcohol. I suppose I have to learn to enjoy some things without involving alcohol like cookouts and such and also do less things that are solely based on the alcohol itself, ie beer festivals and wineries. I try to remember what I did before I fell in the bucket and honestly a lot of the same stuff I do now. I hike less, im less active…I used to paint and garden. Maybe I’ll start there. What did you do before?

4 Likes

It’s hard to think-- yes i painted and gardened (in an apt now so no garden) and paints expensive. I like reading but i have to be in the mood for it. I guess if i think back far enough it was always games because it seemed like once I went into high school drinking was cool, then after every little thing had booze involved (ie puttputt or the beach)…

On a different note, its 5pm liquor store closes at 7…my husband was a complete jerk since hes been home and he just left for his friends so Im frustrated and just reminding myself every few minutes I dont need alcohol but it’s all I can think about right now.

3 Likes

High school was where it started for me too, 17 years later and here I am, day 2 no drinking. I describe it like groundhog day - drink till I feel like crap, regret drinking, next day I feel good, have a drink, get drunk, feel like crap etc… I’ve decided I can’t do that to myself anymore. You are doing great! Have a soda water :grin:

1 Like

Welcome. Giving up on that mirage of being able to have a “few” drinks feels like a massive loss, but it is actually a most liberating thing. It is one group of beverages that you can’t have, you can still drink plenty of others, still do the things you want, just with a different liquid in the glass in your hand. It took me a long time to let go of the fantasy too, I know it is not easy, but once you do you will never look back.

1 Like

Welcome @aBeanBurrito

Wow i can so relate to your post! Your comments bring me back to my trepidation about quitting. “I wont be fun anymore” “i will be boring” that was my addict voice trying to keep me in chains. Truth is i used all that time i was thinking about drinking and drinking into rediscovering me and my values and whats important, hobbies, passions. Its beautiful having hope and truly living. Sobriety has brought hope and happiness back intomy life.

Stay committed to one day at a time. Make the choice not to pick up in the morning. Then decisions already made, no wishy washy, negotiating. Decision made one day at a time.

I checked in here often and hit daily aa meetings early on. Now im nearly 2 years sober! Theres people here who are proof you can break free from addiction!

3 Likes

Im sorry for the late response. I hope you fought through those emotions. Paint is less expensive than alcohol on a side note :smiling_face:

1 Like