This is for him and me

Today is the first day of journey I tried to embark on many times, but I always seem to find my way back to the bottle. I always find myself making stupid excuses “well one more time won’t hurt, it’s the long weekend”, but it always does. Another day gone to waste nursing my hangover. I don’t go out as much anymore, in fact I rarely drink with people. I’m a closet drinker who prefers to drink alone. I use to think I was the only person my age who does this, but once I started opening up to people I realized I wasn’t alone. I’m tired of trying to be sober alone. I think this can be very helpful for me. I have a lot of good things going on in my life, with a new career path that’s right in front of me. I have plenty to do to keep me busy these coming months. I want to be sober is because alcohol has always slowed me down in reaching my goals. I know I have so much more potential. I’m happier without it, I have been sober before and I truly believe life gets better when you are. I had a very hard year, with the passing of my grandfather and he is the main reason I want to get sober now. He did it and when he became clean his whole life changed for the better. I want to know that I can be strong like him. I want to make him proud.

11 Likes

What are you willing to do to get sober?

1 Like

I haven’t thought about that too much yet, but I do need to. I’m willing stay out of situations where I know I’ll want to drink concerts, parties etc. and I’m willing to talk more about my addiction which I have never done.

3 Likes

That’s a great start! If you found yourself drinking at home alone, is there anything else you can do instead at those times? A good walk always helps me clear my head. I also find meditation helpful.

There’s a book called This Naked Mind which I read recently, might be of interest. It’s about reframing the way you look at alcohol, I know a lot of people here have read it.

There is SO much information and support on this forum, you’ve come to the right place :blush: You might like to have a look through this thread to help get you started:

1 Like

Good luck. Half measures availed us nothing. Any time I only dipped a toe into sobriety I always kept a finger on the drink. Took me a couple failed field expirements before I was satisfied that I couldn’t use drugs or drink safely. Then I became willing to do whatever it takes to get sober.

6 Likes

Maybe a meeting might help you they worked for me todate get phone numbers and lift the phone before the drink , you need a good foundation when it comes to staying sober and meetings will give you that if you desire it wish you well

3 Likes

It looks like you might already know what was missing from your previous attempts. Perhaps a group based approach would be a good start fill in the isolation of your drinking and recovery efforts.
Looks like you are making a great new start, good luck!

6 Likes