This was a game changer for me

Do you have a name for your addict? My addict is called Sid. Sid is a shadowy dark version of me. He is always with me. Sometimes he is very quiet. Sometimes he is very loud. But I can see him. I can see who I am fighting. I tell Sid to “fuck off” when he is loud. I am having so much more success battling my addiction to pain killers this time. This is the longest I have been clean. What is your addicts name? I would love to hear from you :heart:

19 Likes

Mine doesn’t have a name, but that bitch is getting one today for sure! I like the approach!

6 Likes

It really worked for me. I can visualise my addiction that way. Makes it easier to fight. For me anyway. I really hope it works for you. Take care :heart:

2 Likes

Very clever! I am definitely Dr. Jeckle and Mr. Hyde!

4 Likes

I did that in the beer aisle at the grocery store. I meant to do, just in my head. After I loudly told the beer to “go fuck itself”…I realized everyone was looking at me…lol

I didnt give in, and I gave people something to talk about…it was a great day.

17 Likes

Haha class. Whatever works for you. I hope you are keeping well

2 Likes

Mine is “demon” I guess? Anytime I feel like drinking I think to myself “I can drown my demons, but they know how to swim”

4 Likes

1574 days sober, life is great. The bad days no longer control me.

2 Likes

I’ve named my inner voice ‘bitch’ as in Nice try Bitch. She doesn’t deserve a nice name.

I got the idea from a post a couple months ago, someone wrote about Joe Namath (? pretty sure it was him) in an interview he was talking about alcohol & naming his inner voice, he named him Slick.

4 Likes

Great idea, we had a Punk rocker in England called Sid Vicious, sounds like your Sid is Vicious too. I’ve never given mine a name but it sounds like a great idea. Good luck, you are doing so well.

1 Like

Mine is called the winewitch, she is still there sometimes but not much.

6 Likes

That’s cool. Love it.

I go by Chase but my first name is Jacob so when I would go to rehab or something people would call me Jacob at first and I started to joke that Jacob was the sober/good me and Chase was the evil twin lol. Kinda fucked me up a little though cuz nobody in my real life calls me Jacob unless I’m in trouble so I sometimes felt like the evil twin full time. Love this as a concept though I should give some thought to a different name for my active addiction self haha

1 Like

I really like this idea. When my son was an infant he was so difficult and we used a play on his name to describe his full blown emotional, inconsolable side. It was probably a coping mechanism so that I could live my son but hate his behavior.

I’ve spent so much time hating myself and fighting myself. It’s torture and likely wreaks havoc on the inner recording in my head. I’d like to stop hating myself and fight the addiction instead. Thank you so much for sharing, today this bitch gets a name!

1 Like