Thoughts about Self harm relaps

Hi guys,
I‘m new in this community but I thought it might be a good idea to join.
I’m 6 Month sober but recently I have many thoughts about self harm (relaps) and I’m not sure how long I can resist…
Idk maby someone has some tips or copying mechanisms :heart:

4 Likes

Welcome Lillith! I don’t have any experience with self harm but there are others on here that can offer you some great advice. In the meantime, you can use the magnify glass at the top to search for other posts. I look forward to seeing you around the forum.

3 Likes

Hi Lisa,

thanks for your answer that means a lot too me :heartpulse:
I’m trying to find some post which might help.

2 Likes

Hi Lillith

Welcome to TS.
Whenever I have relapsed on self injury it has been a very impulsive action. I haven’t had too much time to reach out before hand so I am happy you are being gifted that space and are here reaching out.

I did DBT and there I learned a lot of ways to cope with the high emotions or lack there of we seem to get. Trying to be present seems to help me the most, using sensory stimulation. Ice packs on my skin, squishing my hands in cold soapy water and being very aware of the feeling in my fingers, lighting incense, holding my cold crystals, petting my dogs soft fur, always deep breathing while I do this… the body scan has saved me from self injury so many times as well as naming something I can recognize with all my senses.

I guess it depends on where you are at with a trigger. Are you craving injury, are you craving emotions, what is making you feel you might slip?

6 Likes

Hi hi ,

yes I know what you mean, but I was so unprepared this time… I learned a lot at DBT and I do know the skills but my mind was empty…
I didn’t need to use my dbt “skills” in month and from one sec to another my mind went nuts .
So I opened the App and tried to chat, cause that was the only thing that slipped through my mind.
End of story …it didn’t helped.
But what is really bothering me is that I don’t know what triggered me.
I need to think about it in the morning and try to analyse my day to find out what happened!

Anyways thank you for your help, especially your last part made me think….and helped me to focus .

So Thank you :heartpulse:

4 Likes