Thoughts on Russell Brand's book RECOVERY please?

Not my cup of tea .everything he writes is borrowed and he gets paid for it ,maybe im old fashioned but if he gets people to look at their soberiety then ok ,principals before personality.

2 Likes

Ray’s back! How was your trip?

1 Like

Morning, Ray! We’ve missed you, my friend!

1 Like

The bible of sobriety books is " A new pair of glasses" by Chuck C

2 Likes

Not everyone will identify with AA . Many will find it old fashioned so if it works for others I think it’s great… plus I think someone posted above about the proceeds going to help addiction groups or something. I truly appreciate your belief in AA but this is not an AA group and I know you’ve been around a long time on here and I have massive respect for your journey and sobriety but , it’s a group for getting sober so I just think there’s obviously more than one way xx

1 Like

To me, the most powerful parts of his book were not him going thtough the 12 steps in his own words, but how he related his personal experience and insights to the steps. He has something unique to offer. He certainly doesn’t need to devote so much of his voice to helping others in recovery, so I admire his willingness to use his status to get the word out.

5 Likes

Mr. Brand is not in fact keeping with AA tradition.

But I don’t think he is claiming to ???

It’s not something we claim. Being a part of AA it is implied that you will adhere to the traditions. The traditions exist to protect the program of AA from the members of AA. Turning a profit from AA principals clouds the AA message. Though I do admire him for helping alcoholics by sharing his experience I can see how AA can take issue with his methods.

I have heard it said many times. “The Steps keep me from commiting suicide, and The Traditions keep me from commiting homicide”.

2 Likes

I was actually in a meeting with a famous person today, but they don’t really publicly talk about AA. He had a great share too

Oh who was it?!?! Lol. Damn the anonymous part!

1 Like

PM me if you must know.

I must not. I’ll have more fun guessing in my head

I didnt mention AA .i was only saying that he and a few other people get sober and write books and the material is copied how would a lay person getting sober know all this knowledge unless he or she read it somewere else.The last couple of weeks ive been with two guys guiding them through a recovery program and have been to the local homeless unit in Glasgow talking to guys who still drink not that i have to but i want to help and they didnt pay a penny . yes Englishd i was through in Glasgow and next week im in Edinburgh giving away my wisdom lol end of month im going to Cyprus with the lovely sheila and im sure ill get to meet new friends there if i have time , my youngest son Adam turned 21 last Friday

4 Likes

I started going to our homeless shelter meeting as well. Powerful stuff. I recommend it to anyone.

2 Likes

dId my first one 29 years ago ,guy gave me the keys for the week end meetings opened my eyes and the prisons aswell just putting a wee bit back .one week i was in Mojacar in spain sitting looking across the the Med with a loner Max was his name just chilling and the next week im in glasgow doss house with the down and outs ,

Hi @adeygaga49
I think Russels Brands book is superb. Got it on audio as he brings to life and found it easier to absorb that way. This book is one of the reasons I now recognise my problems with addiction.

1 Like