Tips for choosing AA meetings?

I’m Katie, I’m 22, and I’m less than a week into my sobriety. I thought I could do it on my own, but I’m starting to realize now that I would be better off if I went to meetings with like-minded people to be able to learn about sobriety and share my personal story and hear about others’ stories. My goal is to start off with a 90 meetings in 90 days, to try to increase my chances of success and break myself from the habit of drinking.
My only issue is that I don’t know where to start. I’m assuming I should probably start with an open group, maybe have a friend or family member come with me to support me, but I want to be able to find my home in a group, but my selections are pretty overwhelming. What are your suggestions to kinda help narrow down my choices?

9 Likes

What type of group do you feel the most comfortable with?

There are women only meetings, LGBTQ+ meetings, young people meetings or regular meetings?

I just go to regular meetings but there are loads of different types :smiley:

2 Likes

Yeah. I recommend any open meeting for a start. And before or after you can totally find a friendly face who’d be more than happy to answer any questions.

If you want a recommended meeting, a call to your local district office could do well too!

3 Likes

Google AA near me. Call the local service center and get the info for the local young people meetings. Lotsa good sobriety and mostly young people.

4 Likes

I highly recommend you go to this beginners aa zoom meeting.

Its every night at 8pm cst. They spend the first 15min reading everyones day counts and giving people shout outs. It sounds cheesy but it helped me early in my aa days. They cover topics specifically around steps 1 2 and 3. And then whoever wants to can share. Awesome energy in that meeting!

3 Likes

Admire the heck out of you for starting this sobriety journey at your age sing being proactive in recovery. I’ll echo what Derek said regarding young persons meeting, but basically try to find a group the demographics you’re most comfortable with.

2 Likes