Tips on getting through the early days gratefully received

Don’t get me wrong. This is not my first attempt but I find that the symptoms of detoxing can be the reason that sabotages my recovery and then the cycle carries on. Grateful for any advice anyone might have.

2 Likes

I read somewhere that the brain develops receptors that tells us … u need a drink… it keeps telling us that u need a drink. If we choose to say back that … no i don’t need a drink … 3 times then these receptors go in sleep mode for some time. And is activated after a while… if for a certain period we continue to say no to it … it starts getting deactivated one by one… as depending on the length and frequency of a habitual drunk… these receptors grow in count… repeatedly saying no to it and maintaining that stand for a prolonged period evetually kills it. Right now im craving for a drink n i said no 3 times … it seems to be working for now… but im just 1.95 days sober. I hope i stay sober over this weekend

4 Likes

I will definitely try this ! I have what I call “the witching hour” and it kicks in around 6pm. Its a mental battle after that until I know the shops are closed followed by relief that it is no longer an option. The physical symptoms can be just as bad. Sweats and lack of sleep can be a trigger. I’m on day one myself so know this will be the case tonight. I hope we both get through this weekend.

I think I must have listened to everything Bill Burr’s ever recorded. Took my mind off that goddamned incessant ‘you’re fine now, you can handle a drink’ bs. I like his humour because he seems to hate everyone and everything, which sort of makes him neutral I guess.

I love his rant about Steve Jobs. And everything else he gets angry about!

1 Like

He reminds me of those crank callers years ago, the Jerky Boys. One of them had an accent so similar it could have been him!
See what you think!

Hope this doesn’t offend anyone.

1 Like