Tips on how to resist wanting to relapse

I don’t normally use discussion boards like this but I need help. I was addicted to self-harming for 3 years straight. But, and I hate to say it, I have been craving a relapse for about a month now. So please, I am practically begging here, I would really like help. Any kinds of tips or tricks on how to resist a relapse will be helpful. I want to keep myself sober.

3 Likes

Hi Abby, welcome to Talking Sober, I am glad that you found us. I am working on my third year SH free and I can really relate to the urges of wanting to relapse. Previous to this stretch of clean time I had made it to 18 months then had a slip and started my day counter over. I have under gone a lot of therapy to help me overcome my self injuring behavior and the most helpful I have found for it was DBT.

Distraction is a great skill I use when I want to injure. I jump in the shower and depending on my emotions I will make the water hotter or colder. I practice mindfulness to get out of my head (sounds ironic) but staying present keeps me out of my intrusive thoughts. Temperature change works really well for me and exercise. So an icepack on my skin or a brisk walk in the winter air.

Just remember that urges pass eventually not like the shame that burries itself in our bones when we SH.

Sending you strength tonight. Just take it a minute at a time. :heart:

3 Likes

Hi abby, i agree with @Its_me_Stella staying busy has always helped me. Is there an activity you could do that could keep you distracted? Agree with shower, hot water helps relax me or what about taking a bath? Have you tried writing out your feelings? Reflecting? What about tv? Do you have apple tv? I suggest the show Monarch legacy of monsters. What about eating a favorite food or snack? Sounds strange but sometimes indulging in my favorite snack or sweet, helps me avert my cravings. What about a task that requires some type of concentration? Like a video game, puzzle, craft like diamond art or knitting etc. It helps me to shift my focus to other things when I crave. If you need someone to talk too, im here :heart: feel free to message me.

1 Like