To early to go back to work?

So I was talking to my wife about starting a new job. Ok ts pretty good pay and I have took off from running my company for VERY GOOD REASONS. Money was the biggest reason to much money after I had been doing the wrong thing so I needed to get time under my belt. However I was outside playing CC arch with my kids , and I received a message saying I could start Monday for ok money $18.00 he after a week 20. However my wife thinks I should not push myself back into roofing due to my past employee s that I worked with she said with my relapse and having 13 days clean she is scared the money will affect my sobriety. She aAid j should try and be patient and good things come to those who wait. I understand but I live working and want to be at work for my company but I can’t do I need to work. I enjoy being at home sad the last 3 months but I truly need to do what I know and work. Please feedback so you guys think my wife is just trying to be honest I do but I want to work. :pleading_face: Ok please HELP ME WITH THE???

1 Like

I have been scared of having money in my pocket in recovery too.

I stuck close to my recovery support group when I did started making money again.

I was hesitant last year to go crabbing because I had never made it through a season without drinking and using drugs.

I stuck close to my support group and went. I made it through my first sober season last year, and im confidant I will make it through this one.

Ive been buying myself toys with the money I save on booze and drugs.

I have been paying debts and buying my kids nice things with money I save on booze and drugs.

Today im more confortable sober than I ever was on booze or drugs. I worked hard to stay sober. It was worth it!

I did just like you did and shared my concerns, and formed a recovery plan and stuck to it.

I also work in the construction trades. I dont hang out after work when the beers come out. Or go to the bar with the boys.

Same thing when I get off the boat. No bars. No hanging out with the crew if they are drinking.

Its alot easier to slip than to get and stay sober.

Being broke sucks.i do alot more fun things in recovery than I did as a drunk. I spend my money alot wiser.

1 Like

For me, continuing to work was important to my sobriety. I lost my job within a week of leaving detox and knew staying home all day would be a problem. I immediately got my resume out there and had a new job/career within 2 weeks.

I was working full time and caring for my family but I made sure to keep my sobriety a priority. I was going to an intensive outpatient program 4 nights a week for 3 hours after work for 2 months. At the end of that program, I started attending AA meetings. I’m coming up on 16 months sober and still attend AA meetings regularly.

I would suggest whatever decision you make, be sure to keep sobriety in the forefront. The saying goes…My recovery must come first, so that everything I love in life does not have to come last.

1 Like

You both have good points. And your priority, financial security, is just as valid as hers (your sobriety).

If you end up losing your sobriety and relapsing, you could end up losing more than just your sober time. You lose your health, you lose valuable time, you could lose money and security… You could lose your job, your marriage, your rights… Your life. The loss of sobriety often leads to more and more loss. Maybe not this time, or the next, but it usually happens that way.

I wouldn’t risk my sobriety for a job. But that is just me. Only you can know what is right for you and your family. I hope and pray that you find the right answer.

2 Likes