To the relapser Vol 4

The only reason I have reached 1095 days…I protected my soberiety. I tried for decades to quit, to moderate, to be normal. Every time there came a “Ya, but…”:

I dont want to drink, I shouldnt go to the party…Ya, but it’s a friends celebration

I am not drinking, ya, but I passed a really hard test, I should celebrate

I am not drinking, ya but today at work sucked, I just needed something to cope.

Many more like those statements from my past. The “ya but” was my addiction talking

What was different this time, I protected my sobriety over everything. Sobriety was my best friend when I had to stop hanging out with the drinkers. When I celebrated my promotion, my sobriety was there cheering me on. Shitty day at work, my sobriety was there telling me it was ok.

Decades of abusing alcohol gave me horrible coping mechanisms, horrible ideas of fun, a horrible life.

Getting sober is about re-learning how to live. I finally faced the fact that it would be hard, I might be clueless on how to cope, I might be boring for awhile.

Slowly, i learned to deal with emotions. Over time I learned something so simple…without alcohol my mind could make better decisions, I could enjoy the moment, and I could reason through any stressful problem.

I learned that the world didnt revolve around me, I was not powerful enough to control anything…with the exception of drinking.

That is correct! I can control drinking. simple… say “NO” to the first drink and there will never be a relapse. There will never be a hangover.

Stay sober.

28 Likes

I really appreciate these posts from the longer term members.
They show a calm simplicity that comes from sobriety, and not just merely being sober.
I’m always glad you’re here, Scott.

Oh… And show us ya but!
:+1:

6 Likes

So well said! Congrats on 3 great years-- one day at a time. Hugs & a virtual coin for ya.

3 Likes

3 years on Tuesday…lol…my days might be slightly off…working an unexpected 3rd shift. However, thank you very much!!

2 Likes

Just ramblings. There are those here that are far more wise, and far stronger sobriety than I.

1 Like

I love this

2 Likes

A very well written ramble, then. Thanks so much for posting this. The “Ya, but’s” can be difficult to overcome.

2 Likes

Love this! A great post to read as I start my week. Just…thanks!

2 Likes

Thanks for posting these man, really love em’

1 Like

Thank you for such a thought inspiring post. I had a particularly difficult time this past Saturday. I was pissed off that I couldn’t drink. I didn’t, thanks in huge part to my husband (5 year recovering alcoholic), and I was able to protect my 5 weeks of being AF. He is extremely supportive and patient. I’ve saved your post, and whenever I get the urge I’ll read it for inspiration. Thank you.

2 Likes

AA has taught me that sharing our story is the most effective way to help fellow alcoholic. Works better than preaching, brow beating, ect.

2 Likes

I felt this! Thank you for sharing Scott.

1 Like

Thanks for the read :muscle: this helps out a ton

1 Like

Touched my inner person…
Love your strength!

1 Like

@ThePower .

I really like these, @Thirdmonkey. Contrast to the first part, the thinking has to flip to find recovery.

The promotion came from sobriety, so drinking to celebrate that is silly.

Or I had a bad day. Still, not drinking means a chance tomorrow is better (and drinking practically guarantees it’ll be worse than today).

But it just isn’t how I thought about stuff until I tried sobriety on for size.

2 Likes