Today Is my first day sober

I’m sav and I’m a welder. My parents struggled with addiction and my drinking has gone from liquor to just a little beer to a whole case to two bottles of wine on a Sunday.

I need help. Today is the first day I am trying to be sober. I had a really bad day yesterday and it was enough for me to make some changes. I still want to drink from time to time on “occasion”, but I’m tired of NEEDING something so badly.

I could really use some positive words of encouragement as I start this journey.

6 Likes

I would try smart recovery if it’s your goal to try and moderate… that was my goal once upon a time, then alcoholism grabbed me by my throat and kicked the shit out of me for years. Good luck, there are lots of great people and resources here.

1 Like

Happy one day sober! I understand your frustration. I’ve made the worst mistakes while drinking. I can’t take them back… but I can move forward from them. AA is an amazing program. If you believe you are an alcoholic. It’s very rare to be able to drink isocially/ on occasion. It is out of our control. Sober life is a way better any drink. Good luck! Stay positive! :cherry_blossom:

4 Likes

Great advice :grinning:

2 Likes

welcome here! we all join in the desire to have a sober and meaningful life. One day, this first day is al it takes to start a new journey.

3 Likes

Y’all are absolutely amazing. This gives me so much encouragement. Thank you all.

1 Like

Welcome!! Best advice for the forum? Read everything you can here, when you think about a drink, read or post or both. Here is a thread with LOTS to read…

Frequently Asked Questions:

And…keep coming back and checking in!!

1 Like

My intention is pretty much to be sober. I may have a drink at holidays or on my birthday or something, but that would be all.

2 Likes

Definitely not everyday like I’ve been doing.

As for now, my plan is to be 100% sober. I had gotten into a huge depressive bout with an exboyfriend and my childhood land and home was sold all within a couple months. I began drinking every single day to numb the pain. Even though all that has subsided and I’m happier than ever-- I still am addicted due to getting so hard and heavy with it I believe. I don’t even really like it.

2 Likes

here i was about to give life changing advise :joy: but as i read on i see you already got all the advise i wanted to give. I too have tried the only on my bday or christmas of all days… that is what we tell ourselves and we mean it. unfortunately the addict mind has its own idea of when and howmuch we are going to drink. we say we will drink because we are down, we drink to celebrate, we are anxious we drink in all occasions thinking we are the ones in control all the while it’s the addict mind. i dont mean to go on and on but just want to give a message that hits home because alcoholism is soo unforgiving.
Welcome you came to the right place.

2 Likes

Just one day. That’s all any of us have. Today is the only day I can take an action so that I hit the pillow sober tonight. Tomorrow will take care of itself!

I struggled for a long time with stopping because one day in the future I might have a “legitimate reason” to drink. It’s so much easier on me to focus on this beautiful day, the best day ever!

I used Antabuse, counseling, enforced accountability, and AA to get sober. Today I used AA and Talking Sober to stay sober today. Here’s a great thread full of ideas : Resources for our recovery

Blessings on your house :pray: as you begin your journey.

2 Likes