Today is tough, with dad in ICU

My dad was doing good this morning, and now he is in intensive care in an artifical coma. I don’t know what to do or say. My mother is at home alone and I had asked her to stay with us, but she doesn’t want to. My bro is going to come over later, so we can talk, but honestly I can’t really feel anything right now. It can get better, but it can also get worse. Made me think of buying a bottle of wine, but I went home and told my girlfriend about my thoughts instead. It sucks to be so helpless right now.
Take good care of one another and give your parents a call if you have a chance to.

11 Likes

I am really sorry to hear all of that. It sounds lonely and isolating and like you feel powerless. I lost my Dad after a long illness and I would very much like to give you a hug right now. Instead I will do the next best thing which is to encourage you to stay sober. Checking out won’t help you here. :heart:

3 Likes

Hang in there, friend. You will need to stay sober for your mom and dad.

2 Likes

Hi, you two. Thanks a lot, I can use that hug right now. But I stayed sober and will stay sober for my family.

3 Likes

I am really sorry to hear this, but this I know for sure. It is so better to be there when you are sober. You should be proud of yourself! God bless.

2 Likes

I am real sorry about your Dad. Drinking won’t make your Dad any better and it will for sure make you feel way worse. I am sending out some hugs and care to you. :heart::people_hugging:

1 Like

Good if you to turn to friends instead of a bottle, a bottle would certainly almost always make things worse rather than better.

Praying for you and your family during these difficult times. :pray:t3:

1 Like

So sorry you’re going through this. You did awesome reaching out instead of reaching for the wine. Keep us updated on how your dad does.

1 Like

@AlexWayhill that’s a real bummer about your dad. I sincerely hope that the medical team can get him on the mend.

My two older brothers and myself lost our youngest brother suddenly last month. Tomorrow, for the first time, we meet with my sister-in-law who just received his ashes. I’ve got a feeling it’s going to be pretty hard on my sister in law seeing my mom for the first time since my brothers death. As you said, keep in touch with your family.

3 Likes

I’m so sorry for your loss. That will be a rough day.

2 Likes

Just wanted to leave an update here, although this thread is now quite old:

My dad recovered and is doing quite good, but his lung tissue is now scarred and he’ll never be able to do longer hikes or so. Compared to when he was in hospital, this still is kind of a miracle that he is still with us. Thank you all who sent prayers and thoughts, it helped to know that you are with us :hugs:

3 Likes