Torn between AA and being a drunk

For me, I was just desperate and willing to try anything. I managed to squeak through some of the God-y steps by just being “willing” and made my hp the ‘connections between people’. Some meetings are more cliquey and religious than others. Maybe try some online agnostic aa? Or indeed the other options like recovery dharma or smart? The key things are personal development and making connections imo, however u get them is fine!

8 Likes

Etiquette schmetiquette :wink:

@Jim27
God (I really hate saying higher power but I do it around here sometimes to be politically correct or encouraging)
Anyway, God, Science, Religion are three different things to me. I definitely believe in science and God. I think religion stinks. It was created by flawed human beings. Just like the rest of us.

I think the most important thing is to HAVE AN OPEN MIND. I just posted that this morning on the checkin. Especially dealing with something as big as addiction.

But let’s face it. We all have faith. I mean you get on a airplane. You have faith You’ll get to your destination. Even science tells you you’ll get to your destination. You don’t know! But You get on that airplane anyway.

I too applaud all you that do this sober journey without God. But to me. God is the meanest toughest son of a gun out there in the junkyard. And God is much bigger and stronger than addiction. I’ll stick with God.

And remember not all AA groups are the same. It could take you 3 or 4 or 5 try’s before you find one that fits nicely.

Just have an open mind.
:pray:t2::heart:

15 Likes

It’s honestly about finding what works for you to keep you sober day after day. Try everything.

What do you have to lose?

Example. I started with AA and stuck with it for around 18 months. I then started inviting other recovery groups and resources into my journey. I now do a self made program that sees me attend AA, CA, NA meetings when I feel like it but still working the very fundamentals. I have a problem, I can’t sort it myself. Hold myself accountable, always take inventory of how I’m feeling and how I’ve behaved. Lots of bit of spirituality is key. Keep yourself healthy, and keep yourself and your surrounds tidy.

It’s a pretty big world out there full of amazing and wonderful things my friend.

1025 days ago I was shaking like a shitting dog, sat in my own vomit and piss trying to force down the last of my vodka, which would be my last ever taste of that shit

Yesterday I took this. After a 10 mile hike.

Fuck the drink off, get serious, join me in living the best life you possibly can. You can have what I and a damn lot of other people have in this world. Peace of fucking mind.

Youre in my thoughts tonight brother.

17 Likes

Great topic by the way @Jim27
Lots of good stuff coming out on here. Glad you started it.
:pray:t2::heart:

2 Likes

I’ve been sober 14 months now without AA. While AA is very beneficial for some it’s not for everyone and that’s ok.

15 Likes

I don’t attend AA but I’m certainly not opposed to it. I’m not a religious person but i cannot say for certain God isn’t real. What i do know is real is my alcoholism, so if there is anything that will help me fight it I’m game. I only need one truth to guide my path.

Being a drunk is no fun man, you already know that.

9 Likes

I am a spiritually challenged member of AA. I have learned plenty of loopholes around the word god from other members of AA.

My favorite thing about AA is the fellowship. We are everywhere.

5 Likes

Your higher power can be anything. Something in life you truly love that gives you strength. For me it’s life and all it’s beauty. I want to experience so much more of it than to waste it away. For me it’s time and I hope for you it is as well. Just take it one day at a time and we are all here on here for you

1 Like

I have another support group that I have and so many of them absolutely love The Luckiest Club. I’ve personally never used it, but they attribute it to their sobriety. There are other options :slight_smile:
Didn’t see you in the Zoom today :upside_down_face:

1 Like

My higher power is my car. I had the same mindset but I refused to let my addiction kill me. Some things are worth trying if it means not dying. What do you have to lose?

4 Likes

Nature is the highest power you can touch, smell, see, taste and hear. When you’re in a forest, you’re communing with your Higher Power. This is what I think about when I attend AA meetings and I’m asked to think of my higher power.

I hope this helps.

6 Likes

Really grateful to all of you. I admire all of you so much and I’m grateful for your input.

1 Like

Indeedy! Many options :slight_smile: I’m not in AA but gave it a healthy go for 30+ years. At first I struggled with the higher power thing, and I won’t lie, I definitely dipped out of big book meetings when it got to that chapter. However, I created something within myself that worked for me. It definitely wasn’t a traditional higher power.

I use a combination of medication, therapy, and this group. I’m coming up on a year next month. That’s the first time making it this far in I don’t even know how long. I think I was in my mid 20’s the last time I had over a year sober. OH! And from 0-13 years old! Nailed that time period :joy:

You can do it. Find the path that works for you.

I did notice you saying you were terrified of AA. Is there a reason? Other than the higher power thing? Have you been to one yet. If not, I mean give it a go for giggles. You don’t have to walk in there having that figured out. You just need to have the desire to stop drinking :hugs:

2 Likes

Great advice and thank you. I’ve been to several AA meetings and I feel like it’s a religion in itself. It works for many and I applaud that. I love hearing the stories I’m just terrified of everything else. I really don’t want to be the guy who is going to a meeting a day and thanking AA for saving me. Not sure why that scares me so much, it’s just heavy

1 Like

I am a member of The Luckiest Club (TLC), and love their community and zoom meetings. I also attend AA.

2 Likes

I have a lot of respect for you. I have a lot of respect for a lot of people on here but you’re definitely one. Whatever works for you I’m willing to try.

1 Like

In the beginning I was drawn to AA then not anymore. Now again more, as I think there is a lot in common with other options. Recovery.

I am an individual but we are all humans. I always thought I was different in my suffering, my problems but I am not.

2 Likes

I thoroughly hate (CG)AA. I despise it. And I don’t need it. I managed a year without and I’d be able to go many more years using only TS.
I took a better look at my hate. What makes me hate it so much. I discovered it’s all directed to step 9. With grown ups step 9 could work. They won’t necessarily be childish when you try to make amends. But I mostly hurt people my age. They will likely make some dumb childish comments or ask for money. I will have to make amends with people who bullied me and I simply defended myself. It’s like I’m being punished for defending myself. Should I have just let them kick my ass? It’s bullshit. Step 9 is fucking bullshit when you’re my age. It scares me and I find it hard. But you know what, if you say fuck off to fear and fuck off to shit being hard, you say fuck off to relapse

1 Like

There are other twelve step options and books available

I’ve been to NA before, some of it helped some didn’t.

When I stared to hang out on the forum here it was life changing. I didn’t want to keep drinking the way I did. And I couldn’t stand the thought going to AA I live in a really small village and I’m not buying the idea of giving in to a higher power either.
I’m raised in the Pentecostal church, ideas like that have done enough damage in my life.
So I didn’t go, I’m lucky though. I got great support on here, great support from my husband and my psychologist, I couldn’t have done what I’m doing all alone.

But maybe you could give AA a try and see how you feel about it?
If it doesn’t work for you, it can be good to know that it’s absolutely doable anyway but it’s a little easier with the right support.

2 Likes