Tough morning

So I still haven’t had any drinks for 4/5 days and I’m doing pretty good with that . This morning however has started off pretty rough though . So my mother, is living in an apartment alone which she’s had a guy pay for and he’s been living in his car because they don’t get along . He’s been helping her out for years and he’s been a family friend since I was 11 . This morning she asked me, her 25 year old waitress daughter, to pay her rent . 1, I don’t have all of it, 2, she’s asked me for money before, 3, I don’t know if I’ll get it back even though she says her sister sent her money and someone stole the package and she will get the money to me asap, 4, I let her live in my last apartment for the rest of my lease because I moved in with my gf which was a good 4 months and I paid every one of those months, 5, what about next month? She’s had a problem with drinking her whole life . Same as me, not every day but has too much when she does . She has no job no car and blames it on her id being lost years ago . My aunt tried to help her and get her and I to live with her for a year when I was 16 and then we left because my mom decided my aunt was “too controlling” and yes she has her ways but she was my moms best bet at living a good life . She brought me to Florida with the guy who we’ve known for a long time then left to go live with my aunt again THEN comes down to stay with my for a couple weeks for my 21st birthday and decided to just live with me in my studio back then . My aunt was mad and so was I . She didn’t tell anyone her plan but she knew what she was doing . No she’s amended with my aunt and talks to her every now and then . Im genuinely so disturbed by my moms actions and she’s wronged me and made me feel worthless and I’ve given her loads of money that I will never see again . I don’t even know what to say to her because she told me if she doesn’t pay rent today she gets a three day notice and she says she hates coming to me for help but yet does . Today is my gfs birthday I planned on buying her a couple more things for it . While I have some money saved up, it’s not enough for her rent and I’m tired of paying for her when she screwed up several chances with my aunt . I worked for my money and I don’t want to see it go again like that . Im at a loss here …

4 Likes

Thank you for your response . currently in tears lol . I’ve heard over and over from people that it’s a parent’s responsibility to save and protect their child not the other way around but for some reason that is really hitting hard at the moment . I hate to see her in such a terrible position but I swear it’s because of her choices . Nevertheless, still gets me down every now and then . I don’t know what she will do this time and I’ve begged her to ask my aunt one more time for her to live with her and she says my aunt doesn’t have room because she moved and downsized . Also, yes I will probably tell her I do not have the money but I know her and she will make me feel like a bad person because of it . Ugh ! Trying to keep it together is so draining .

3 Likes

I really appreciate you ! That is true too, she will find a way to figure it out, she always has . It’s definitely challenging being faced with such things but I’ll pull though :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think your mom is manipulating you and everybody she comes in contact with. If you pay her rent, you are only enabling her. I can’t imagine how hard this would be, but my advice would be tough love for your mom. And she’s lying about the package, I’d bet $ on it.

1 Like

I can’t imagine how you feel & hope you find the courage to keep your money for your needs. Your Mom should not be asking for help from you as described. My prayers go out to your inner child navigating this through recovery :mending_heart:

1 Like

Oh dear, this is a hard situation. Your mom is manipulative, trying to drag you to “help” her which honestly is just not wanting to cope with the consequences of her own behaviour and attitude. I digged deep into codependent literature and al-anon. The first and foremost message is: Don’t “help” the addicted person, detach (if possible in love) and build healthy boundaries. You and your safety, sanity and health have to come first to protect yourself. This also is true for your financial safety, you must come first to manage your own life. No is a full sentence.

There’s a good thread on loved ones who are addicted. Maybe you want to read around there. You are not alone!

3 Likes