Tough Time at Airport

Sitting at 59 days sober, on my way home from a work trip and i stopped in at a restaurant and had a seat at the bar to get some breakfast since I have an hour to kill. Not the first time I have done this since starting my journey.

But this place didn’t really have anything interesting for NA drinks (tbh I was hoping for an NA beer, at least). And I saw what was my drink of choice, Voodoo Ranger imperial IPA tall boys, in the cooler. Honestly the most “triggered” I have felt in weeks.

But I’m still here, sipping on an orange juice, waiting for my omelet.

Hope you all have a great day!

24 Likes

Triggers are just decision points.
You made a good decision.
Keep stringing good decisions together and pretty soon you’re looking back on a big chunk of sober time.
Crack on.

13 Likes

Oh @HuggyB , I can so relate to your post! Work trips were the norm for me, particularly before covid. There were about a half dozen airports that I knew like the back of my hand - at least, where the pre- and post-security drinking spots were, what was served where, etc.

It takes a while to “unwire” those associations in the brain, but it can be done. You’re doing it too!

Now? I look forward to coffee, a comfy seat with a view, not calculating if I have time for a drink before my flight (or another drink). The whole experience is actually a lot more enjoyable! Who knew?

Be proud of your 59 days! And enjoy that OJ and omelet.
Onward, friend. :wink: :orange_heart:

9 Likes

Enjoy your omelette and your OJ. Carbs fats protein to recharge your body - fuck alcohol, no one needs that shit.

Congrats on not throwing 59 days out the window in a moment of weakness from traveling and work trips, which are always exhausting. Way to grow your sober muscles. :muscle:t2:

7 Likes

You have already conquererd. I love a cold orange juice, wish I was you😄

1 Like

Congrats and well done. Stay strong :muscle:

1 Like

Appreciate the kind words all, about to be on my 2nd flight and fly home sober!

4 Likes

Congrats on your time .i find airports sometimes tempting for me but not as much anymore . When i had i think 3 months in i had a 2 hour layover ok cool whatever in americas busy airport denver . But that 2 hour layover tullrned into a 12 plus hour delay .it was tempting at the time to set and eat but being around liquor( my doc ) and just being pissed at they delay i had to just get mcdonalds really but being at a bar bar anymore i just cant do it to me beer stinks to me and i just cant stand the smell anymore of it

1 Like

Currently in Bali on a holiday with my wife, mate i feel you its so warm here. NA Beers help but not the same. My first international holiday sober.

5 Likes