Treat yourself

So yesterday with the money I’ve saved from cutting off booze I bought myself a nice bike. Wanted to train for triathlon since years, so now I can ! I mostly can because I feel healthy back again. No hangovers. No more post-binge anxiety/depression (that made me stay home for days eating shit and, of course, not close to be able to train).

Anyways, it’s not because I bought myself something that it means it’s easier: today I still had a stress moment at my job and I felt like using. But reminding me that tomorrow I’m going to enjoy a really nice morning ride actually helped me to stay strong.

I think it’s good that we treat ourselves considering the major step we’re doing by going sober. Especially in the early months, and on the big numbers too I guess.

What’s your thought on this?
Are you guys using this externe motivation?

Have a nice day everybody!

9 Likes

Good for you! I’m overcoming a sex addiction so I haven’t seen the financial difference the same as you, but I’m all about celebrating milestones in healthy ways.

4 Likes

Absolutely treat yourself. A helpful part of recovery is redirecting and finding new/old interests and turning them into habits to replace the boozing and “boredom”.

I’ve treated myself, my wife and my kids. Feels great to actually have the money and motivation to do the things you always dreamed/fantasized about while being drunk.

6 Likes

I think it’s a wonderful thing to treat yourself for the accomplishments of being sober. Instead of spending money on alcohol, we can now spend it on other things whether it’s as simple as ice cream or as big as a bike! In my case, I’m going to buy a new laptop on Monday for school, something I wouldn’t have enough money for probably until the end of summer but I can buy it now because I’ve saved so much from not drinking. :slight_smile: keep going strong!

6 Likes

Yes! I’ve always wanted to do aerial hoop so I’m waiting for the money to tot up to spend on a few lessons and classes. I have got well into the gym and Pilates classes this week, haven’t done since last October… Because as you said, hangovers, depression cycle etc so unmotivated. Before I would exercise to burn out some of the alcohol and have a few days dry so I could get drunk on less, now I want to succeed in getting fit, succeed in no alcohol in my life, just do the best I can everyday. Thank you. :blush:

2 Likes

I really haven’t yet, to be honest I have NO idea where the money came from to buy booze with in the first place! But, when I do reward myself it will be big I think. I think that’s a great idea!

4 Likes

Like a new motorcycle big!!! You deserve it!

3 Likes

There’s an idea! That’ll be a few years down the road but that would be a perfect one. I miss it SOOO much!

2 Likes

Totally a workable goal!

2 Likes

Do it! Great motivation. When I stopped drinking the first time, I dove into running and triathlons. Got all the way up to doing 50 miles races and half ironmans. I’m super excited for you! Please keep us up to date with your training!

2 Likes

WoW that is amazing. This is actually what I am aiming for! It’s been years I want to do it but I always told myself that was maybe a “to high goal” for me, like not realistic. But here I am I started swimming one year ago (because I told myself I’ll start with that before the bike) then I kept the motivation growing and today I pushed my bike in a circuit it was amazing. 4 sets of 8km hard and I really liked it. Anyways I’m happy to see someone who has been struggling with addiction now behing able to do triathlon : it’s the total opposite of life style. Maybe that’s the reason why I’m aiming for it and 70.3 … just curious , how long did it took you to reach these goals ? And thanks for sharing that’s very encouraging

3 Likes

I totally get you hah! Tonight it’s Friday and I’m off and my house is a mess because I’m moving the next two days. I kind of just want to get out of here and do something… so I’m going to get a really nice cheesecake right next to my place as a reward for a hard week and my upcoming moving!! Little rewards are so important!!

2 Likes

Thank you for your support. I’m so sorry someone in your past was so ignorant and rude as to laugh at you about this horrible addiction. Thankfully, I haven’t had that experience yet, but I’m often closed lipped about my addiction. It’s in a lot of ways easier to hide than chemical dependancies, and it’s hard to get over the feeling that sex addiction makes me a gross person. I guess, though, we all deal with feelings like that from time to time regardless of what we are addicted to.

2 Likes

I was sober for 4 1/2 years, and it took me three years to get up to ultra marathons and 70.3. It is possible, recovering alcoholics are very motivated people. I had relapsed this year, so it took me a few steps back, but I’m working on getting back there. Makes me so happy to see you going for this. :smiley:

4 Likes

Holy crap, I don’t really even look forward to driving 70.3 miles hahaha. You’re a boss!

3 Likes

Haha! thanks, @CaptAZ

This is very very nice, I’m happy for you. And, you know what they say here about relapsing. Part of recovery and stuff. I’m pretty sure your sport life style will push it back away. Anyways it’s cool to here that. 4 years seem long for me lol but we’ll see! Thanks for sharing and have a nice day everyone.
(I’m moving tomorrow and can’t sleep… damn stress even if I know everything is fine)

1 Like

Thanks, @WCan. Good luck on your move! :smiley:

Pupper birthday biscuits

1 Like

@WCan. Congratulations on your sobriety and new bike!!! :blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart:
I can relate to this. I’ve continued riding my bike in spite of my alcoholism, but have been disappointed with my performance. This exacerbates the feelings of self doubt, loathing, helplessness, etc. I certainly plan to purchase a new trainer once I’ve saved enough. In my sobriety, I plan to ride an 80 mile 10K climbing Grand Fond in October this year. The trainer will help with training. Happy Biking!!!

1 Like