Tricks and tips

This is day 2 for me with no alcohol and the cravings are terrible. I need some tricks and tips that will help me combat them. I’m at work now, but when I get off work I know that it will be too easy for me to stop and grab a 12 pack.

8 Likes

Congrats on your 2 days.
Take a different route home.

Here’s a great thread if you’re interested.
Dans link

It took me a lot of work. And I had to change things up.
:pray:t2::heart:

5 Likes

When you get off work, try to take a different route home, one that doesn’t go by your local bar or store that you’d normally stop at.

Also, make plans to do something when you get home, like clean the bathroom(s), re-arrange yoir bedroom, mow the yard…

Come here, read, post, soak in all the sobriety you can!

Sobriety, early on is uncomfortable, but there’s growth in discomfort.

8 Likes

There’s no tricks to sobriety. Find a program of recovery and work it every day. Eventually the cravings go away if you’re putting in the work.

8 Likes

What helped me after work was going straight to an AA meeting.

7 Likes

Be committed.
Commitment gets you further than enthusiasm, want, or wishes.

6 Likes

Well day 2 is pretty well done. I did take a different route home, finished mowing my yard, and did some laundry. My kids are not home so I’ve also been busy taking care of our dogs. Tomorrow, shooting for day 3.

9 Likes

@Greatalisha : I have some tips for the coming days. During the initial period, cravings will be at their peak. To manage this, avoid letting your stomach stay empty; eat frequently and keep it full. Try to work out daily, even though one don’t feel like doing anything in the initial days of recovery. Keep yourself busy to avoid free time. Consuming sulfur-rich items like ginger can significantly reduce cravings. Avoid socializing with people who drink, taking a break from such interactions if necessary. Additionally, praying and attending church daily can provide support during this time.

3 Likes

Well done on successfully completing day 2! The first few days are rough. There’s the cravings, the flood of emotions previously dulled by alcohol, the anger, and the withdrawal. Even if withdrawal is mild (mine was, like… I didn’t need medical attention or anything), it’s still really uncomfortable. You’re either bored out of your mind, or desperate to stop feeling the discomfort. What helped me was reminding myself that sometimes the only way out is through.

Sometimes one day at a time turns into one minute at a time, one breath at the time. The first few days are rough but when you’re commited. Really commited. You only have to get through this once.

Like others have said, go to meetings, read around here, soak up recovery content whether it’s books, podcasts, this forum, hell… youtube videos. I found Quit Like a Woman and The Unexpected Joy of Being Sober especially helpful.

4 Likes

Superficially, things like always keeping my hands and mouth busy - mints, flavored teas, study apps on my phone, sniffing lavender essential oils helped in the short term. And making a schedule so I had no down time unaccounted for. But like others have said, a proper program is needed for long-term sobriety.

4 Likes

Tips and tricks hey?

It doesn’t really work like that, but if it helps you can think of booze as bleach. Why would you drink bleach? They’re both poison.

2 Likes