Triftshop treasures from all over the world 🌍

Idk but seems I have trouble

I love thrift shops! That’s how I decorated my whole apartment when I moved in bc I didn’t have much of a budget. I’ve stumbled upon some great finds. The best was the same pair of Sorel boots that I payed $200, in my big size 10, for only $10! Now I have 2 pairs :smiley: I think the coolest thing I ever got from a Goodwill was this, which I didn’t buy but got as change. It’s 90 years old!

11 Likes

Wow! And you got it as change! :star_struck: Unfortunally in the Netherlands we changed our valuta in the year 2000 from gulden into euro. So here’s no opportunity to find old money as pocket change.
But I kept some old coins to remember it. I still call the 10 euro cent a “dubbeltje” and the 5 cent a “stuiver” sometimes :blush: Young people do not know what hell I’m talking about :joy:

2 Likes

Believe it or not , these maps could be found in schools across Ontario, Canadan well intothe 80s. Supplied free from Neilson the manufacturer.

I found this one in Port Rowan ON

5 Likes

Yeah it’s funny. I got a $20 from 1994 out of an ATM and a girl at work asked it I had change for a $50. She saw it and said “why does it look like that?!”. She was born in 2004 :rofl:

I like this weird little planter I found for $1

4 Likes

Thx for creating this page…I enjoy thrifting. Will post some fun stuff Ive gotten over the years.

2 Likes

We had such maps as well but not with advertisement on it. But I could be mistaken because I live in a milk country with a big lobby for it. We grew up with the slogan" melk voor elk"/milk for everybody. Ore “melk de witte moter”/milk the white engine. And do not forget: Joris driepinter/ Joris 3 pints. Joris was a little guy on tv who told us to drink at least 3 pints of milk a day :sweat_smile:
That’s what I like about triftshops, you always see stuff that remind you of the old days. The time at school ore with my grandparents. So I like to see more of your finds @Deadman

Looks like someone made your planter by hand @Just_Laura , cute! I wonder how many houres there is in making that pot. I try to collect “berkenbast” potten. They where a hit into the 60’s ore 70’s and I like them a lot. I already have some.

3 Likes

I got this for a couple of quid from a charity shop in Glastonbury, I think. It’s weird but I like it. I’ve got zero idea what it is, or what you would put in the little basket area. It’s soapstone, no ivory or anything equally vile.

6 Likes

Nice! Maybe put some salt in the bowl and use it for burning sticks of incense?

2 Likes

Nice idea though the kittens would no doubt start a house fire… :pensive:

I really wonder what it is though!

1 Like

It’s an brushwasher pot Google images think!

Nice find @Tragicfarinelli :star_struck:

3 Likes

Oh thanks for this I just saw your message. Wow. :star_struck:

1 Like

Here in Arizona we have antique malls. Not sure where else they are, but I rarely saw anything similar back home in the northeast.

Generally it’s a large collection of individually-rented stalls with a mix of genuine antiques, misc used items, home-made/artisanal stuff, and a whoooole lot of “whatever”. Usually a lot of great, genuine mid-century stuff which suits my style and my home. Some vendors are a little too ballsy with their pricing - but there are also plenty of steals to be had.

I regularly find pots/pottery here on the cheap that I use for planters, I’ve found some awesome stuff.

I have 4 or 5 spots that are standard go-to’s, and 2 of my top 3 just happen to be within a mile of my house. I went to both today. I’ve been going to both at least once a month since I moved to the southwest nearly 3 years ago. Great way to spend a few hours.

I’ll start posting whenever I visit these places. Never know what you’ll find. I’ll also post existing things I’ve gotten - in my living room alone there’s at least a dozen items, probably closer to 15-20.

Favorite sight today -

Frog purse.

St Harry

Rocking Toucan??

Got this wee bird to pair with my toucan in my kitchen skylight garden. Bird bros.

9 Likes

Nice finds @TMAC

2 Likes

I wish I had a use for frog purse, because I am in love with it.

3 Likes

Are you sure you can’t go shopping with it :melting_face::face_with_peeking_eye:?

1 Like

A recent favorite find/purchase. Got it in October, I think.

Not a real antique. Not even real brass or gold.
But I always have a candle and it dresses it up really nicely. Perfect color/style for my living room.

6 Likes

Nice finds @TMAC !
I just saw a look a like glass of my drinking days right behind Harry :blush: The glass with the cactus glass base. I had such a glass but then in wine glass shape. It was my favorite because of the cactus base en it was a big glass so plenty of space for much wine.
I had totally forgotten about this glass. I trow it away at my first serious attempt of quitting my drinking 11 ore 12 years ago.
Time has changed, but it was a nice flasback to someting old and forgotten.
Thank you T :wink:

5 Likes

The rocking toucan is something I would take home :smiley:

3 Likes

Went to the triftshop yesterday and found another little wooden doggie to add my collection of wooden toys.

You can make them move a bit by pushing the “button” beneath each toy. I found them very fascinated as a kid.
I payed 10 eurocent for the dog and that was a bargain. But when I came home I saw it’s exactly the same as one I already had!
So now I have twins! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Also bought an ceramic holy water can in a nice soft green colour. Didn’t know what is was before I bought it, but the sign on it was a bit familiar to me so I googled on it. It’s still for sale when new for €45,- :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I paid 2 euro for it!
I always return home happy!
But it’s also time to get rid of some stuff to, I have more vases then flowers! :woozy_face::sweat_smile:

12 Likes