Trigger and Relapse

I️ am 33 day clean and starting to work my 12 steps. Last night I️ spoke to my child’s mother and even though we are in different states she is my biggest trigger!!! The conversation didn’t go good at all! Now I️ found myself waking up at 5am with all these thoughts and the craving to make it all go away (for the time being.) my Biggest fear of staying clean is relapsing!!! I️ could really use sum helpful advice to continue staying clean. Any suggestions anyone???

2 Likes

I feel for you homie. Pain is my biggest trigger and boardem. You just got to keep reminding yourself that life is fragile and if you decide to use again it could be death. I am 174 days sober. Using crosses my mind a lot but then I think about how far I have come and that gives me peace.

1 Like

Q,
Always remember that you are responsible for your triggers. They are a reason for feeling that way, but the aren’t an excuse :0)
Look deeper at why she is a trigger. Is it simply her or is ther something else that she contains or represents that is the actual trigger?
For me it was always those sunny days w no responsibilities. After some thinking, I realized that the biggest trigger was the nothing to do.
To counter that, I find something to be busy at and get busy.
Best,
Chandler

3 Likes

Sometimes my old partners make me want to use or set me back emotionally and so I’ve learned to not answer that call or avoid trying to connect with him because it only makes me feel lonely and isn’t a positive thing for me. PUSH. Keep pushing until something happens. Push…keep telling yourself whatever phrase thst works for you