Trigger versus Temptation

As I sit in an airport lounge, I think about the word “Trigger” and what it means. Before I go any further, I am at a small airtport, and this lounge is the only food venue and I’m hungry.

To me, being in a lounge is not a “trigger”, it’s a temptation. I hate the word trigger!! To me, it is an excuse not to accept responsibility.

Temptation reminds me of 1 Corinthians 10:13:

“No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.”

Even if you’re not religious, think about that statement. There is nothing in this world that will tempt you to the point where you have no choice but to give in. Not one.

The next time you feel tempted, just remember that no temptation can overtake you!

19 Likes

I’m not a Bible reader, but I really like this and the way you have interpreted it. Thanks for sharing. And take care of yourself in that airport lounge! :owl:

3 Likes

To me, “trigger” implies a mechanical reaction to some external force. Not a bunch of thought behind it. Temptation involves more rationalization. Seeking a six-pack of beer never triggered me, but there was a time that it certainly tempted me. The mind saying “think how good it will taste. Cold. Crisp. Maybe just one. Well, since it’s one, best make it a tall one”.

Trigger would be how I was when in active drinking. Walk into my local convenience store, turn right, 10 steps to the cooler, grab a rack, pay, go home and drink. No thought. Or 5:30, close the laptop, grab the glass, pour the wine. On autopilot.

But that’s just me. Your mileage may vary.

3 Likes

Nor am I, and I like it too. My wife shared it with me many years ago. She used to pray for me that I’d get better. God sure took his sweet time. :wink::joy:

3 Likes

I too dislike the word “trigger”. It gets thrown around alot around here and in my opinion it’s an excuse and nothing more.

5 Likes

I think there is both triggers and temptations…but you are right that trigger is too often used…or confused.

I think your quote. I’ll remember that one.

I agree too. I think of “trigger” being more of the ‘and’ in “cause and effect”. I think it’s sudden, overwhelming emotions that trigger undesirable effects. But at the end of the day, it is all just temptations.

3 Likes

Triggers exist, but like most words it has been bastardized, diluted, on overused. I cannot say if someone’s “trigger” meets the clinical definition, but I can tell you if mine do. My “triggers” were excuses. There are a few things that will plunge me into a deep depression, and i used to drink when i got there.

1 Like

A “Trigger” to me is like a sudden impulse. An old bad habit echoed back to me, but only for a moment, and usually when something is happening that I would quickly use as an excuse to drink soon. But everything after that brief second of “I want a drink” I guess is a temptation. Because now the impulse has faded and I’m left to use my rational thinking in that moment.
And then that’s when that quote is perfect. I never read that before but it’s totally true. You won’t be in a situation where you’ll have no choice but to relapse, you can always choose to stay clean.
Even if it’s insanely difficult. But those are the moments that test your sobriety, your will power, and your strength. And it grows stronger and gets easier each time.
:v:

3 Likes

I think most people confuse the word trigger with craving.

It’s not far fetched that someone with a drinking problem gets cravings around booze, or when they do something they associate with booze.

A trigger is something that sparks emotional distress, and is attached to some kind of past trauma but it’s not something to drink over.

But these are just my 2 pennies. Take what you like, leave what you don’t.

5 Likes

Yep. The words “trigger” and “temptation” seem to be used in a way on this forum that to me suggests that people commonly conflate the terms.

I suspect the word was just borrowed from the trauma world, in the sense of a stimulus causing a sudden reaction in your mind. In trauma, the relevant action we’re talking about getting triggered is that instant emotional and physiological response. With addictions, there is also a sudden response to stimulus in the form of temptation.

So I could say certain environments trigger the temptation to relapse, but I consider it incorrect to say the environment triggered me to relapse, because that implies relapse is a direct consequence of the environment, and ignores the fact that I get to decide whether or not to give into the temptation that was triggered.

With English being a continuously evolving language, where correctness is in part dictated by frequency of use, not just origins and rules, we end up with many terms that are awkward like this. The incorrect use becomes frequent enough to be common incorrect use. If it continues to gain momentum, it becomes considered accepted use, and if the previous definition falls out of favour as well, it becomes the new correct use. It’s unfortunately partly a popularity contest at times. I consider the current use of the word “trigger” in addiction circles to be incorrect but common (and therefore largely understood). The most awkward part of a word’s lifespan. I pick my battles personally - I can look for clues as to which use of the word “trigger” is intended, and respond accordingly instead of wasting energy trying to correct people. Same approach as when people exclaim “I’m literally going to kill someone”. I look at the clues and interpret the intended meaning. If there is apparent confusion then of course I attempt to clarify. Maybe I should be more insistent on proper use, but it seems like fighting English language, even improper use of it, is like fighting a glacier.

3 Likes

I wish people would use the word cravings when that’s what they mean instead if misappropriating “trigger”…

3 Likes

LOVE that verse!

1 Like

Well done @hawke. For bringing this thread back up.
To all you guys struggling with cravings and temptations. Even if all you read is @Mephistopheles’s last comment.
You’re never going to succeed unless you change your relationship with alcohol.

4 Likes

I would have loved to have seen this when it was originally posted. In early recovery especially in rehab, those two words were pretty much thrown in a blender, made into a shake and given to you at meal times. Now, I realize that in early recovery, urgent care and emergency rooms were a trigger. They are the places I would frequent when I was between prescriptions. I swear I have every symptom of sciatica memorized. That is something that is something impossible for a doctor to disprove because there is nothing physical for them to see. 479 days later, I see them as a place of healing and places where I can tell the addiction part if my brain never again. So in closing, to me triggers are real things, but as you become sober, they’re excuses for those who don’t want to put in the work to keep sober. Now is a great time for NEVER CRAVE ALONE. If you’re tempted, come here talk to us. We’ve been there and are more than happy to help you through the tough times

4 Likes

lol, I never even noticed it was an old thread! At 21 days sober, I’m just reading every thread, trying to make it another day.

2 Likes

Nothing wrong with that Karen. I still do it now when a topic catches my eye.
It’s always useful because not everyone scours the forum like us.:rofl::rofl:
21 days is excellent work by the way.

3 Likes

I just reached 21 months of sobriety and I should be feeling super today. But I had a mental temptation yesterday that made me feel uneasy and I can’t stop thinking about how it made me feel.
You see, I associate eating fresh steamed crabs with drinking several bottles of wine. My past is filled with these memories.
Last night was the first time that I physically felt and thought about the correlation as I was picking through them. It feels so weird because I did not crave a drink but I’ve missed going through the motions of drinking unlimited wine as I ate these wonderful, sweet morsels. Does that even make sense?

2 Likes

Hi @Delaine54 Just to say, yes, what you’re describing makes perfect sense. I’m probably too early in my journey to offer any meaningful insight. But I believe, as you say, it comes from the long engrained association.
I’ve read and re-read this thread with interest. I’m definitely guilty of misusing the word ‘trigger’. I suppose what I’m trying to say is that a certain situation / environment / chain of events ‘triggers’ or ‘prompts’ the thought of drinking. I guess it’s a bit like mental muscle-memory.
Like you, there’s so many instances where wine has gone hand in hand with something else. I’m working to break those associations. After being so strongly connected it will take some time, I imagine.
Lots of love X