Truth and Tough Love #3

Were you a psychology major? That is some deep stuff.

2 Likes

Most of that comes from my own recovery work, a combination of what I learned in group and what I learn in my personal counselling sessions :innocent:

You would make a good counselor. Your insight and personality would match well with such a career.

5 Likes

I remember when I first started AA that I would ask people who had years sober this question:

What did you do to get there?

I asked a lot of people and got an answer every single time. Learned a lot of good stuff. Like a looooot. I wouldnā€™t just look at them and go oh good for them I hope I can get there too. I would literally pull them aside after a meeting or call them on the phone and ask.

Since Iā€™ve been on this site a few years now I donā€™t know if Iā€™ve ever been asked that question. A lot of people congratulate me or ask about a specific problem, but I donā€™t remember one person asking ā€œhey derek, howā€™d ya do it?ā€

12 Likes

All due respect, in your case we donā€™t often have to ask. :wink:

Iā€™m being cheeky, yeah. But also some of what you posted before I even showed up helped me a lot when I wasnā€™t sure yet what the hell to do myself.

Thatā€™s the weird thing about a forum. A lot has already been said, and anyone can come along and be affected or benefit from the experience long after weā€™ve shared it with someone else.

I tried almost everything anyone cool and recovered on here talked about when I snuck in. From you, for example, I decided I should probably go check out meetings. And yo, that s**t is rad.

14 Likes

Iā€™ve legit been waiting for this.

After two failed attempts at doing it my own way I felt truly hopeless. I always thought I could beat addiction doing it my way (gotta love that addict hubris). During my second relapse I really lost touch with reality. But thatā€™s when I became truly ready. I finally found my way back to rehab. Which was great to dry me out and get me through withdrawals. I can share more on this, but rehab didnā€™t keep me sober, AA did.

After rehab I went directly to a meeting that night to get my 30 day chip. Then my parents drove me from Pittsburgh to Syracuse (where I did most of my drugging). I had absolutely no sober network when I got there. However, within a few days I found myself back at AA. And I found myself there often. And even though I was in rough shape and not speaking, the regular members saw me there a lot and started reaching out (I was pretty unapproachable in my opinion). Some would even say pushy, but clearly it was what I needed.

After about a month I got a sponsor (NA) and started working the steps. I also started IOP around this time. I was hitting 14-18 meetings a week and started immersing myself into the sobriety lifestyle. I think I tried pretty much everything that was suggested to me. At this point I had admitted to myself that doing things my own way was dumb so I just did what the sober people did. And I did this for a long time.

Around 10 months I switched to an AA sponsor and went through the book quickly. My personal life was not great during this time and the steps literally saved my life.

Around 18 months I started to settle into relative comfort. I think thatā€™s when I truly believed I didnā€™t have to drink or drug. I consider this the beginning of my maintenance phase where I do things to stay balanced and true to myself. I became comfortable with my thought process and decision making.

A few years in and I still go to AA, although not nearly as often. I also do service work for the area AA convention.

For me there was definitely struggling early on but I think itā€™s a myth that sobriety is hard forever. I made it a lot harder early on because I was still a mess, but these days itā€™s pretty easy to maintain sobriety.

27 Likes

:100::cowboy_hat_face::metal: congratulations friend!

1 Like

Nothing in my life was ever improved by just sitting around waiting for things to get better. Any improvement in my life was a result of working for it.

Thatā€™s why I donā€™t often tell people ā€œoh itā€™ll get betterā€. No TF it wonā€™t, you gotta go out and make it better. Thereā€™s the expectation that sobriety just automatically improves everything. Also not true. Sobriety just allows me to be in a place to actually work on the change I want to see.

So Iā€™m not going to hollowly promise someone itā€™ll get better, but I will tell them they can work to make it better.

28 Likes

Well said. Even where Iā€™m at now I see new areas where I need work everyday. I see where I slack and your right, nothing will change without putting in the work

3 Likes

Damn boi, good shit this day.

With the right amount of desperation, all things are possible.

6 Likes

I tell people it will get better but I shouldnā€™t assume they are participating in a recovery program. In the beginning I had to trust that the people with sobriety werenā€™t lying to me and had faith in what they were telling me. I needed to here that, and they were right.

5 Likes

My boss just created a new rule:

Donā€™t bitch about a problem to her unless you have an idea for a solution or are at least willing to work on the solution.

I dunno, seems like pretty good advice for life in general.

22 Likes

It is. Very true. You can lead a horse to water. Thatā€™s my truth and tough love for today.

3 Likes

I didnā€™t realize how much this was my biggest pet peeve both drunk and sober. But sober I realized it was probably also my own worst character defect.

Embarrassing in hindsight cuz it really made everything more frustrating for everyone around me, and for myself.

Whatā€™s been neat is the more I try to ā€œstay in the solution,ā€ I find itā€™s also a little contagious. So thatā€™s cool.

3 Likes

EMPLOYEE: Bossā€¦ Youā€™re terrible and make this job a nightmare. My solution is you fuck right off outta here and leave us to get on with it and get happy.

BOSS: Iā€™m glad you came to me with this, and the solution you have offered is valid and appropriate. I will quit, pack up my desk and be gone by COB today.

6 Likes

My boss did something similar. It was supposed to be a 30 day challenge. We all put bracelets on our right wrist. If we complained without a solution, the bracelet got moved to left wrist for the rest of the day and you had to start your 30 days over the next day. No one could get past 4 consecutive days except me and that was only because of my AA program. After a week, everyone gave up. My boss was the worst. I donā€™t think she got past 2 days.

14 Likes

Iā€™ve participated regularly in AA for four years now. Sober 20 months. Absolutely adore my AA folks. Iā€™m the social chair of our whole chapter. I worked with a therapist and still do. Donā€™t have sponsor or work the steps(officially) though in reality I am living those steps, especially the first three. I participate in other sobriety and spiritual communities. Really canā€™t believe how utterly amazing this sober life is.

9 Likes

At my first stint in rehab I remember being ā€œdiagnosedā€ with bi-polar and a few other mental health issues. And boy o boy did I ride that shit as an excuse for everything. Lost my temper? Well you canā€™t be mad, Iā€™m bi-polar. Relapse? Hard to stay sober when Iā€™m bi-polar. Seriously I rode that ā€œdiagnosisā€ as far as I could. I could insert any mental health issue into any excuse to get myself of the hook from doing the things I needed to be doing.

The fucked up part about this is people co-signed this bullshit for far too long. And all I did was continue to hurt myself as a result.

My bi-polar/depression/social anxiety/etc might be a root cause of my addiction, but itā€™s an absolute bullshit excuse to not get sober.

21 Likes

So true. In fact, the root mental health issues are exacerbated by alcohol and cannot then be treated properly without sobriety. IMO

I would never have been able to work on my anxiety and depression if I still drank, even with professional help. I know because I tried.

17 Likes

At least you tried. I was quite content to not treat my mental health so I could have an excuse to not to get better anywhere else.

8 Likes