Trying again. Could use a friend and support

Here’s a 24 / 7 zoom code for a bit of moral support and to pass the time next time your struggling.

5 Likes

Hi @KarenKW and welcome. It gets easier to be kind to yourself when you take the depressant (alcohol) out of the scenario. Reaching out is a great first step and I was a long time lurker too. I’m also an alcoholic who drank alone towards the end of my abuse. You can change. I’m glad you are in therapy for mental health issues, would you not consider addiction a mental health issue? If you are having a hard time being honest with your therapist try talking here first. We aren’t therapists but we’ve all been addicted. I’m glad you’re here. :heart:

2 Likes

@KarenKW. Welcome, Karen. You found this forum for a reason. Lurked for a reason. Now you shared a bit of your story got a reason . All in the right time! So…now you’re here ready to get sober. Next, tell your therapist. They have heard it all before. They will help you! So glad you are here. This is a place where many of us finally found the keys to finding and maintaining sobriety!

4 Likes

Well that sound familiar in some ways, it sounds like you know what to do it’s just going to come down to you putting into action. When you say after day two your anxiety gets to you, that’s alcohol withdrawal. It’s bad the first couple of weeks then it does get better. When the anxiety was bad in the beginning for me I kept black coffee and dark chocolate available. That really helped. Together they trick your brain into thinking your getting something. I’m at 139 days this time. Last time I had 7 yrs before relapsing. Addiction is tough.

3 Likes

Thanks everyone for the support. Went to bed super early last night. Unfortunately I slept like crap and woke up with a bad tension headache. Work will keep me distracted during the day. I’ll plan to check in here after work as that’s when the cravings hit. I’ve also downloaded This Naked Mind on my kindle. I see my therapist next week and I’ll try to summon the courage to talk about my drinking. Hope everyone has a good day!

5 Likes

@KarenKW I am so sorry for your struggles. If you don’t mind I would like to share part of my struggle and the thing that I wouldn’t do for years that has ultimately helped me the most.

1 Like

Hello Karen,
Your post echos a lot of what I have been through with alcohol. You are not alone! This app has helped me tremendously, just being able to read what others are going through helps and having something/someone to be accountable to. Reading posts here when I’ve wanted to drink has stopped me from taking that first drink.

If you’re on here, you have taken a good first step. If you know you need to stop drinking then it’s time to stop, just keep trying one day/minute at a time.

Know that the alcohol makes the anxiety and depression worse. Emotions are energy in motion, they need to be felt and then they are released. It can take a while if we have been suppressing emotions for a long time but I know from experience that crying is good for the soul. Let it out!!

Not sure if you have access to this but microdosing pycilybin has really helped me stay level and not fall into a pit of despair. Not sure what others think about that on here but it’s proven to help with depression and it’s non addictive.

Take care of yourself,
Rebecca

1 Like

I can relate, I was a binge social drinker, until I embarrassed myself so often I did the “smart” thing and started hiding and drinking at home. And then I would fall asleep or pass out earlier and earlier until it was even before my kids came home. When I first tried to quit drinking, I did Annie Grace’s 30 day alcohol experiment. It really helped me learn and accept why alcohol is so negative and I stayed sober several months. I definitely recommend being honest with your therapist, you are doing yourself and them a disservice by not providing all the facts. An alcohol free life is not perfect, I am still anxious and shy, but it is so much better than when I was drinking. At least I don’t loathe myself anymore.

3 Likes

Hi! Please feel free to share your story. I know I have a lot to learn from all of you.

Thanks! I’ll definitely check out some podcasts. I’m a reader, so always looking for books as well. I know the 12 step program helps so many people. I’m an atheist so struggle with the higher power part. I’ve also done support groups/group therapy in the past and struggled with the group setting. I’m glad it works for you!

1 Like

Please don’t let being an atheist keep you away from a 12 step program. I know plenty of people who struggled with the concept of HP who have been sober for years through the program. I wouldn’t be alive today if not for AA. You can do this!

3 Likes

There’s also a thread here for atheists and agnostics. Search atheist. Lots of good stuff there.

2 Likes
3 Likes

@KarenKW I have been in active addiction since 12 years old…I am 42…I’ve tried EVERYTHING to stay clean and sober… except going to meetings and working a program…so I’m doing that this time…I had a problem with meetings for some reason…but the last 53 days I have been going…I have a sponsor …I’m working a program…I feel a sense of community…I had always isolated myself…for the first time in my life I feel like I can do this and I know the rooms of AA was the missing link. I’m praying for you friend…you can do this!

4 Likes

Hi Karen. Your post resonates with me, as I have MH issues and use alcohol as a self medication.
My advice to you, as mentioned above, is to be completely honest with yourself but also your psych. In that way you can receive the help that you really need.
I am 14 days sober having slipped off the back of 4.5 months sober. It’s really hard, I won’t lie. I get that crushing anxiety pain also and I find it very difficult to sit with, which is why I drink. It it’s only a Band-Aid in the end, and the cycle gets bigger and stronger very quickly.
Be open and honest, keep reaching out here and you will get there if you want to.
Good luck :heart:

2 Likes

Thanks! I keep trying to remind myself that alcohol is only a temporary “fix” and that it actually makes things worse in the long run. I don’t do well sitting with my feelings. To be honest I’m struggling a bit right now. Just clocked out of work and really want a drink. Fortunately nothing in the house and I’m in my pjs.

5 Likes

I relate so much to your post! Haven’t been able to go 24 hours without a drink, I can’t remember the last time. I drink when I get home from work and can never just stop at one. I like how it makes my body feel…numb and in a way careless. I know the alcohol is terrible for my mental health. I sit in shame and regret a lot then the cycle starts all over again.

Hi Karen, I haven’t checked in for a while. How are you doing?

So much of what you’ve just written could mirror my story in so many ways. I hear ya hun!!! I am you! Only I’m 40 days sober now for the first time in probably a decade. It took me being rigorously honest with myself and realizing I needed more help than I knew and I could no longer try to do it alone… For so long I just didn’t have it in me to admit I needed help. Suicidal thoughts became to close for comfort even with medication. I had no sense of motivation and “hope”? Forget about that… it was just insanity I was living in… doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result
I guess I finally broke from the insanity of it all one day and finally called my doctor. When I got to the appointment I had worked myself up so much to the point of a near panic attack because I knew I was just going to tell her everything and hope for the best no matter how she reacts. Her response was so caring and understanding and all she wanted to do was to get me better. It was such a relief 😮‍💨 and it was really the first day of my journey into recovery ❤️‍🩹

1 Like

I’m embarrassed to say I didn’t get past a couple days without alcohol. Now I’m on day 2 again. Committed to not drinking tonight. But dealing with horrible anxiety. I remember it was like this when I came off Xanax. The anxiety was crushing. But I got through it. That gives me a little hope that it will get better again. Just don’t think I can stay sober past a few days. I’ve been thinking I need to quit for over a year, probably longer. I just keep failing. I’m reading on here a lot and that helps a bit.

1 Like