Trying kratom

First day of my new job. Day 128 of being sober. Still amazed every day I’ve not broken yet.

I’ve read a lot into kratom and will order some. It’s not the best thing ever but occasionally I miss having some recreational outlet. Booze was only 2x a week for me but the whole almost dying and getting arrested thing didn’t work.

Anyone try it? Lots of people on Reddit claimed they never wanted to drink again. I know the times I took pot edibles I had no desire to drink at all.

1 Like

Read into it a lot too when I first decided to stop drinking earlier this year. But I decided it is not worth it. Even though it not illegal it still sounds to me that there is a good chance to get addicted to it too. And my goal is to stay sober and clear minded. I don’t think Kratom works for a clear mind.

3 Likes

I wouldnt do it if your that far along sober. as it might bring along another habit as kratom isnt a fully innocent drug. I have a feeling this will be abused like “tookie” or synthetic incents that people smoke. Its just another gateway for the mind for an addict

5 Likes

@KeepGoing has experience with it. But here’s where I think his story and yours differs. You are past withdrawals. You might be fighting mental obsession. It seems to me you are looking for an escape. It’s your journey but I am not going to find a substitute for alcohol. Where they harvest/make it it has become the 2 nd most abused substance. Worth it?

4 Likes

There are withdrawls to krstom use, do you really wanna back peddle? This is in my experience, and I’ve used krstom on and off for years, it’s not as bad as opiate withdrawl, but you will be running to the bathroom 5-10 times a day. With that said, I feel as if krstom has fully saved my life, I would of been dead or in jail with the path I have gone, I am 93 days clean from oxycodone, but yes, I still use Kratom, it’s a battle, and I’ll be done with it when I’m done with it, for now I’m going to still use it as a tool, and not a crutch. Also, Kratom does NOT get you high, and if you increase your dose to try to get high you will just get sick as hell (another good thing about Kratom is if you overdose you won’t die, won’t go into seizure, you will however feel naucious and possibly throw up for a few hours). I’m giving you my complete and honest opinion on this, and my opinion for you is of you’ve gone that long, and are not mentally or physically withdrawing, STAY AWAY!!!

7 Likes

Listen to @KeepGoing he’s pretty knowledge on the subject. It’s good to keep opiate withdraw at bay, but you’ve already got enough clean time to be through the rough stuff. I can’t speak on your addiction/alcoholism, but I know for me it would only be a matter of days before I was back out there if I used kratom. Once my body gets a little taste of being high it wants to be real high. Once I put a substance in my body my defenses are gone. The only way I can stay sober is to stay sober.

4 Likes

I would look at it this way. Me and keepgoing kicked opiates about the same time. I took subs n stopped and ive been fine for a while. He is still trying to cut the kratom back and noticing the differance when he dont take it. Just alil food for thought…

2 Likes

My brother ordered some to help with opiate withdrawals and he said the stuff works. I guess it has multiple uses.

I’m weaning myself off of Wellbutrin and for a long time considered getting back on an ssri. I’ve put more effort into being happy than anyone I know but I think I’ve got some chemical disorder. For a few hours alcohol would make me feel amazing but at great personal cost.

Is kratom really worse than these prescriptions? A moderate euphoria would be fine. And I would be able to go to clubs etc without being anxious or want to drink.

Drinking was never every day and I never had withdrawals. I’d just black out or get massively drunk every time. My pot smoking friend got high and took the train up the West coast and said it was a blast. I dunno.

I’ve heard antubus is good for coming off booze, but I think OP already has a few months clean so it’s probably irrelevant at this point

I exercise, meditate, do mindfulness, gratitude, joined clubs, took classes, read, stopped listening to news, got off social media.

Everything we consume alters our minds. Caffeine, tea, food, social media, video games. Dopamine releases, all of them.

I’m just saying it’s an option. I’m sober from alcohol because it turns me insane and evil. No problem with anything else. I’m addicted to coffee but frankly I look forward to it every day and it helps.

1 Like

As they say in my home group. Coffee good, alcohol bad.

1 Like

I have used kratom a lot on and off as a stepping stone to getting off of heroin… it has effects similar to stimulants as a it is related to the coffee plant but also acts as an opiate to some degree. Yes if you abuse it and use it regularly for long durations you can become dependent on it but I have used it quite a bit and never really had any withdrawals that were not more than minor physical symptoms and some fatigue. I believe this plant has the potential to help a lot of people but there is also a lot of propaganda and misinformation out there. For starters it is almost impossible to over dose on because you have to consume like 20 oz of powder at a time which is both disgusting and stupid. Secondly if you are hearing the “You can get hooked or dependent” and that is deterring you from exploring your options yourself I would like to point out that most substitute medications such as vivitrol or suboxone are actually far more dangerous and neurotoxic than kratom. I am speaking from both personal experience and from the perspective from the place of having done a lot of research into plant based medicinal properties as I have studied ethnopharmacology (using plants as medicine) for over a decade. Anyone who wishes to ask questions feel free and I will gladly answer to the best of my knowledge

1 Like

It’s your journey man. But here’s where my mind goes. If you are looking to recreationally use something to find euphoria what’s the difference between that and just buying a bottle. Anti depressants are not to make you happy, they level brain chemistry. I will share how I became so at peace in life…I quit looking for shit to bring me happiness!

6 Likes

@Donnie_Spiering Don’t get me wrong, withdrawl to kratom is nothing compared to withdrawal to oxycodone, or other opiates, not even close, I get minor upset stomach, and use the restroom more frequently, but I don’t get sweats,back pain, shakes, restless legs, that feeling that you wanna jump out of your skin (the worst fucking feeling ever) and any other withdrawal associated with opiates, if I wanted to stop today, I would have no problem stopping kratom. The reason I am taking it still is that I don’t trust myself to stop Kratom and not go back to the percs. I got kind of an I’m failing sobriety vibe from your last post about me, I could be wrong though, just wanted to get this out in the open though, not mad or offended, just speaking my mind

I also wanted to note that you don’t get high on Kratom, it doesn’t work exactly like an opiate, though it does ease most of the withdrawls from opiates. There is NO NOD, when taking kratom, not that I have experienced at least, but I’m not searching for a high or a nod, and i personally hated the nod when too high on oxycodone.

1 Like

Hey would you mind pming me some articles on Kratom? I’ve done research myself, and from experience I agree with you, I just love reading up on good and truthful information on the plant that I believe has saved my life.

95 days oxycodone free :slight_smile:

1 Like

Im not saying its bad but it can be a substance your body will get dependent to. Im over all the bathroom runs thank god. I was just proving a point that its not a completely innocent drug like vivitrol per say. Its your sobriety and anything is better then taking those evil pills. The withdrawl from opiates is hell for a while. Ive used subs many times and relapsed. Lucky this time i just finally pushed thru it. Its definately not easy. Your going to feel some discomfort one way or another.

2 Likes

This I know, I’m coming off a 3 year habit, every day, 95 days of being clean from it is nothing compared to the time i spent on my drug of choice, your right, it is my sobriety, and I’m not an all or nothing guy like some people here (not talking about you), I’ll use the tools while understanding the risk, and I’m willing to take the risk of dependency on krstom vs becoming dependent on oxycodone again, those withdrawls were hell, and I have taken days off Kratom with very little discomfort other than the dreaded bathroom runs lol, I appreciate you, don’t get me wrong.

If I spent the amount of time I spent on Kratom, on subs, I’d be in world of trouble coming off them in comparison to Kratom, I will stop when I’m ready, and feel as if I will not go back to oxycodone. Some of us just don’t have as much willpower as others. I still consider myself clean from oxycodone, and clean from getting arrested in possession of a controlled substance (which krstom is not controlled). There is tons of controversy and propaganda on Kratom so of it does become banned, and I can’t get it, I would have way less of a problem getting off of Kratom

3 Likes

@KeepGoing they have good threads on bluelight.com but I don’t wanna link them as most of those people are still using.

2 Likes

I’ll check it out, I used to frequent bluelight, there’s some educated drug addicts on there (lol)