Trying to get sober and stay sober again

I quit drinking from September until around Mid November. I thought I had my drinking under control and that I could slow down and pace myself. It hit me like a ton of bricks the other night when I drank 3/4 of a bottle of whiskey 60 pounder that I do not have great self control once I start drinking. Found this app and setup counseling appointments to try and regain my sense of self and purpose and not feel beholden to a drink. I realize I have no off switch when I drink except for when I pass out.

I thank you for taking the time to read this and I look forward to try one day at a time with baby steps. I thank everyone for the stories and journeys so we can all make it through our hardships.

11 Likes

Welcome, thanks for sharing. Thread are important reminders for many of us. I hope you stick around, this is a great place to read, learn and share.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum. There’s tons of great information on here so take time to read through some threads. There’s a bunch of awesome people that have been where you are and will help when you struggle. I look forward to following your journey. Check in daily with all of us, it’s a good form of accountability. Here’s the link Checking in daily to help maintain focus #7

3 Likes

Thank-you for the welcome, I’m new to this site and already I must say I enjoy the environment. Speaking with others and being supportive. I’ve done some reckless actions in my past, got a d.u.i two years ago, 9 years ago quit my job due to my drinking. I’m happy to be here, listen, learn and I enjoy the open, non/judgemental attitude.

The longest I went sober was 6 months back in 2017 after I lost my license. It in hindsight was a happy six months, i was creative and built chainmaille armour.

One thing I’ve realized lately though and it’s purely for own state of mind and well being is to avoid places that trigger me.

3 Likes

This forum has saved me from picking up many times. It’s also a great place to vent. I’ve shared stuff here that I would never talk about in real life and get helpful advice without judgement. I had a dui accident in Sept and thank god I didn’t kill anyone, including myself. We’ve been given a second chance and we have to make the best of it.

3 Likes

My name is Jim and I have 166 days sober today. Welcome to your new sober life! We are all here to help you on your journey. Some of us have been in your shoes. Spend time on here reading, gain knowledge and wisdom from others. There are some great people here that will provide advice and are willing to lend an ear and listen. Don’t be a stranger, I wish you luck.

3 Likes

This is an old photo, it’s more done than this.

That took me about 4 months. I get laid off from work during the winter, so I try to stay busy with hobbies. My next hobbie I want to work on is painting so I’ll be budgeting for a painters easel, canvas and the whole shebang.

I built an armour stand for it and also acquired the whole setup. I’m working towards saving for a house and I think it would be so different to have an armour stand and suit in like a study room or library.

1 Like

Love it!!! :blush::100:

Okay, this is pretty rad. :+1: Did you make the armor, too?