Trying to help myself

Yesterday I decided I had enough. Enough feeling that everything I did revolved around drinking. My son saw one of those cute kitchen signs that showed a.m. coffee p.m. wine. He said it’s wine for both for you mama and here is my husband trying to explain to our 10 year old that I am an adult and can have wine if i choose to. Don’t get me wrong i don’t get drunk i actually water it down with ice. My issue is at any meal i would want a glass or 3 of wine. Then while im cooking dinner then 4 more after while my husband and I would relax for the night. Every morning i wake up with a headache and shakey. Then off to school and work. But again as soon as it’s dinner time i would be ready for a drink. My husband has had to ask me to put my wine glass down so he can get a pic of me without it. Its like it’s permanently glued to my hand. I feel like wine has kept me from being a great mom, wife. I mean i do everything in suppose to but i feel like ive missed out on so much even being right there. Anyhow i dumped all my wine and when i went to the store this time i had no desire to buy more. I hope i can quit for good.

20 Likes

Hi and welcome! Old habits are hard to break but you can push past it; we’ve all been there to some degree. Look forward to seeing you around!

2 Likes

Welcome :slight_smile: There are many of us that have quite a bit in common with you. That little voice in your head is correct and you should listen. This is a great supportive community if you need any support or have any questions. Sending you hugs and strength in your journey :heart:

2 Likes

Welcome to TS! This is a great community :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hi, welcome. When I was reading your post it felt like you were describing me! :grimacing::woman_facepalming:t3: I was stuck in that loop for nearly 18 years. I also decided,’enough is enough’! I’m now at 453 days and determined not to drink today. Then I’ll repeat that again. It takes work but it can be done. Be kind to yourself in the beginning. Make sure you have lefty of nice soft drink alternatives in and some nice sweet treats in. Ice cream was a life saver for me lol. I’m so pleased that you have found this place! Welcome to the family! We are here all the time, check in and don’t be afraid to reach out if you need us, there is always someone around :pray:t2::two_hearts:

1 Like

I literally went to the store and bought fanta to put in my glass lol. Idk it seemed to help.

1 Like

It’s great that you have this insight and motivation! Here is a thread with tons of ideas others have used to get and stay sober. Resources for our recovery.

Blessings on your house :pray: as you begin your journey.

1 Like

Welcome @Sunflower0315! This is a great app to become and stay sober. When I read your story I identified with myself so much… Enough is enough. You don’t have to feel this way ever again… And yes I feel like this too. Alcohol has always prevented me from being a good wife, mother, person. You can do it! Hope to see more of you around here :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes, this works. Find a replacement drink. I started off with ginger beer at home. Black currant and lemonade when we went out.
I’m now enjoying Sparkling apple and elderflower water.
New ways of doing things, whatever works for you.

1 Like

You have to do what ever works for you. If you like to read there is some brilliant ‘quit lit’ out there. Read ‘the easy way to stop drinking for women’ by Allen Carr and ‘this naked mind’ by Annie Grace. These books really helped me understand why we drink and what it does to us. I found reading these priceless in the early days. :pray:t2::two_hearts:

1 Like