Trying to make it to 24 hrs

17 hrs (mainly bc I just woke up)
Feeling hopeful. Gonna try to think of it as “one hour at a time” today.

9 Likes

Just try not to watch the clock too much. As this may make this experience drag on. Enjoy yourself listen to music and watch tv and relax ,pamper yourself in a bath or maybe a mani -pedi. Distract your mind some. Maybe focus on your life and goals you want to achieve sober is a great place to start.

2 Likes

You slept for 17 hours!? :star_struck: :rofl:

Don’t even think about it. Just get up and do your day! The less you think about it, the faster the time goes. Do something fun! You know what they say; “Times fun when you’re having flies”! Wait…

2 Likes

Absolutely…one day at a time, one hour at a time, one minute at a time.

BUT, like Donnie says…don’t focus on the time because that will only just drive you crazy. Get busy. In these first few days you DO want distraction. Long term, distraction alone doesn’t work, but right now you NEED to focus on something else.

3 Likes

Really trying, guys. I can’t relax though, I am staying at my sister’s house which is always filthy - watching her toddler and 5 yo - I love them but it’s definitely not relaxing lol… toddler just had an epic blow-out… I’m already feeling nauseous… I finally came downstairs to get something to eat and my sister didn’t put her dog in the crate (and of course her kitchen trash cans don’t have lids!!) so I came downstairs to 2 full trash cans of food spread all over the house. I cleaned THAT up, went to get something to eat - not a single clean plate. I found a clean one in the dishwasher but even coming OUT OF THE DISHWASHER there are random dog hairs… I love my sister but her home is SO chaotic. It’s really not helping with my stress and my sobriety.

Good Lord that just sounds awful… But, on the bright side, it could be worse. Somehow. :grimacing:
I know you have little ones to wrangle, but can you get somewhere for 1 minute and just breathe? In through the nose for 5 seconds; out through the mouth for 5 seconds. Close your eyes and repeat several times. See if that helps.

1 Like

You can do this.
Just find anything to distract yourself. My first weekend I didn’t get off the couch and I must have done 3/4 Netflix series!
Stay strong

1 Like

Yeah I think I picked the wrong day to start :joy::joy::joy:

Well, it sounds to me like you found a bunch of things to keep you occupied!! LOL

Just try to remember that for all the frustrations of your day drinking or using will NOT make any of it better. Whatever your substance is it doesn’t fix anything, it just puts it somewhere to deal with later. Well, why deal with it later when there might be a whole pile of it that you’ve put aside. Deal with it now as it comes along and it will be more manageable.

Keep at it!!

And when it is all done for the day…relax with a nice hot bath or shower and some soothing spa music.

2 Likes

Hahaha! Yeah, think you know,there’s never a right day. We can always find an excuse to drink!

2 Likes

Well… At least it’s keeping you busy