Trying to stay sober, first time reaching out to other alcoholics for motivation

I’m 26, I’ll be 27 January 22nd. I’ve been drinking since I was 14, started as just hanging out with friends, as the years went on it was less for fun and more like a schedule every night. I drink about a 15 pack of beer every night. Throughout the years I’ve had problems with blood clots in my legs, hair loss, weight gain, etc. I’ve tried to quit multiple times, when I quit I hit about day 3 and start having panic attacks, cold sweats, nausea, your normal withdrawal symptoms. I’ve had chest pains, and horrible migraines, I went to the ER and had EKGs, MRIs of my head, my heart and brain are ok, just from severe indigestion from drinking. I’m normally a small person, I’ve always weighed under 120, throughout the years drinking has caused me to gain so much weight I weigh around 180 pounds now which is all water weight. I’m tired of feeling tired, no energy, chest pains, migraines, not fitting in jeans, my hair is so thin, I feel so self conscious. It’s like a schedule I feel like, like every evening I want a beer even if it makes me sick anymore. I’m on day one, I’m trying so hard to stay sober because this is killing me slowly and I’m so young.

12 Likes

Welcome Ceierra :slightly_smiling_face:. I remember what you’re describing like it was yesterday. I strongly recommend doing something recovery related everyday. I listened to hundreds of hours of sobriety podcasts, spent days reading here and listened to some audiobooks that forever changed my perception of alcohol.

There is no 1 way to recovery, whatever way works best for you do it. The absolute biggest thing i can say is stay focused on right now.

The path gets much easier in time, you can do this. Best wishes

7 Likes

Hello and welcome. I’m so glad you are here. You are old enough and experienced enough to recognize this is a real problem and it will be a challenge. You are young enough to gain back so much of your life and go on to have peace and good health!

In these first days, focus on taking good care of yourself. Try hard to get to a meeting or stay very active on this forum. There are people on here 24/7 from all over the world. You are not alone and you are not the only one. This is a safe and supportive space.

Take care of yourself like you are a young child with a case of the flu. Drink clean water, tea, juice. Eat comfort food. Get some sleep. It will take about a week, maybe even longer to start feeling physically better as the alcohol leaves your system and your system responds to that change. You will experience cravings. Prepare for them with plenty of hydration, some walks, some food. I found taking hot and cold showers helped reset my lymbic system and distract me.

Read and listen to podcasts to learn all you can about how the brain and body and the poison of alcohol interact. This will keep you busy and help you get equipped for the change of mindset and change of heart that can get you to sobriety and recovery.

Check in to this forum every hour. Go to an AA meeting. Open your mind and your heart.

Get rid of alcohol in your house and stay away from situations where booze will be present. This is important to protect yourself. At this point I like to think of early sobriety like the tiny flame of an important campfire. It needs to be protected and fanned and carefully fed.

Talk to safe people! Let your doctor know you are working on sobriety, she may be able to get resources toward you. Tell a trusted friend or relative. Ask them to support you.

Mostly, take it one day at a time. Maybe even one hour at a time. Don’t pick up a drink and then don’t pick it up later either.

A book that really helped me was “This Naked Mind” by Annie Grace. She also has a website and a podcast. She is kind and upbeat and can get a lot of info in front of you about your brain and body. I found her to be very helpful in changing my mindset from being obsessed with drinking to understanding that moderation will never work for me and that I gain great freedom and peace by never picking up again.

It’s a journey and it takes work and support. You can learn new habits and gain back control of your life. You have an amazing life ahead of you and you deserve to be happy and free and healthy. Be relentless about guarding your precious life and kick alcohol out!

I wish you the best and hope to read of your recovery in the coming days and weeks.

8 Likes

Welcome. When you are truly sick and tired of feeling sick and tired due to your drinking, it is the start.
There are tonnes of books, websites, etc on this thread.
Resources for our recovery
But just don’t feel alone. We all allowed our drinking / drugging / other addiction to take way way more of our life than we should have. We all deserve better and we can have better. :purple_heart:

6 Likes

You got this acknowledging the problem is the first step. That took me a long time im 9 days sober and it has been tough but i feel way better then abou 10 days ago stay strong it gets better being on here really helps me :grinning:

3 Likes

My wifes birthday on the 22nd Jan ,im on the 23rd ill be 72 got sober at 34 and im still sober thanks to AA , maybe try a meeting they helped me wish you well

3 Likes