Trying to stay sober for a month!

Hello everyone,

I am a 34 year old alcoholic and I am new here! Alcohol was from a young age very special for me, I LOVED IT… It was a great way for me to express myself. From age 24 I was starting to use alcohol with almost every activity I had to do that day. I also used different types of drugs.
Gladly I am of the drugs now! But I have a serious drinking problem. The last 3 years I am almost drinking every day, 60 to 70 drinks a week. And wen I start drinking I cannot stop.
It doesn’t matter in what mood I am… happy, tired, angry, lonely, sad…etc…etc… I always have to drink alcohol to feel BETTER.
My longest period of soberness ever in my life was 3 weeks. So my goal is to reach one month and I hope to carry on after.
I am sober now for 4 days and I am in a really bad mood with lots of cravings, the only thing that feels good to me at the moment is weakening up in the morning without a hangover.

I hope that I can find some help on this forum on the bad days, witch I am pretty sure they are coming. And I hope that I can provide some help on my good days, witch I hope they are also coming.!

Have a nice day :wink:

10 Likes

@anon60484762

Hey there.

Dude, @Donut89 got some awesome points there so read over and over again and keep them in mind man!

Just for today I won’t… (you add in whatever you need too in there)

Y’all got this! :+1:

4 Likes

Thanks alot for you motivation talk, i will promise to stay on the forum every day. That’s the reason i joined… Because i need the help of all of you around here to finish my Journey!
:muscle:t3::pray:

7 Likes

Thats how i started and one day at a time I’m now at 76 days! Welcome.

6 Likes

Hello Dutchboy! Landgenoot? Er zijn meer Nederlanders hier, welkom :netherlands:
My advice is: take it day by day and don’t think about the future. Today you don’t drink.
What has helped me is: trow away all of the alcohol in your house, avoid the wine section in the supermarket, avoid all alcohol related events (at least in the first weeks when you are vulnerable), add the app “easy quit drinking”, tell your parner or friens about your plans (you can make it yourself easier to say: “I like to live healthy for a while and not drinking is a part of that”), fill your refrigerator with non alcohol drinks and food, buy sweets, ice or chocolate because you want them in the beginning :wink:
Good luck! It’s not an easy road but doable!! :facepunch:

4 Likes

Bedankt voor de tips! Idd een landgenoot :wink:
I have the easy quite drinking app already on my phone and i trowed away al the alcohol in my house, I am happy that my girlfriend doesn’t drink at all so that makes it easier.

Thanks Uniek!

2 Likes

Your welcome! If you need some Dutch encouragement you may always send me an prived message :netherlands::+1:

1 Like

One day at a time adds up. I found going to meetings helped as well as these forums. The obsession to drink with diminish over time. As long as I don’t pick up that first drink I have a good chance that things will not go south for me. I was a binge drinker. Once I started I could not stop until I ran out or passed out. Once I got around like minded people my life got better. I’m almost one year sober and it feels good. It happens by just not drinking today. One day at a time adds up. Thinking to far into the future makes the outlook seem bleak. One day at a time is manageable. 4 days is huge. Keep it up.

5 Likes

Hi butch, i have exactly the same problem, ones i start i cannot stop. Thats why i have normaly only small amounds of beer in the house. So i stop before i pass out.
Thanks for your tips… I keep them in mind :muscle:t3:

Ugh this is prob the hardest thing I ever Did! Wake up and think about drinking after work, but knowing I can’t! Now a long weekend, it’s only been 5 almost 6 days! Been drinking since the age of 19 now I’m 47 it’s time for me. Was a binge drinker, few beers after work but the weekends watch out… You stop drinking and notice every ad on tv is about drinking… That doesn’t help much lol

3 Likes

I made it through the next day! 5 days sober. Thanks for all the support. :+1:t3:

3 Likes

You are not alone! Stay with us! I’ve been in this forum for 49 days and I am now 48 days sober! You can do it!

2 Likes

I did not pray much and whatever your beliefs try it. It is not a formal thing I do I just ask for help to get through the day and go over my day at night. In AA they say find a higher power and it can be anything. You can talk to a house plant. It is a God of your understanding not necessarily one that church’s were built for. It helps fake to u make if you need to. It gets your thinking straight. Just a tip of what has worked for me.

4 Likes

You suddenly notice that drinking is everywhere!!
The hard part is starting a whole new lifestyle and changing habits associated with drinking.

2 Likes

Try to remember that doing without alcohol isn’t DEPRIVING yourself of anything, but rather FREEING yourself from years of BS and propaganda from alcohol / drug / tobacco / etc. companies and even from often well-meaning friends and family members.

We’re all glad that you’re here.
Every single days is an accomplishment !

2 Likes