Trying to stay the course

Almost gave in to the drink today. Not sure why the desire was so strong. I told myself it would help me relax and maybe stop the back pain. I know if I drink enough that goes away but I feel like crap the next day. So it is the end of my day and I made it…one more day, one day at a time.

10 Likes

What sobriety tools are you using? Do you work a program?

2 Likes

So glad you hung in there! It’s not the easiest thing to do I know, but it’s great feeling when you beat the beast!

Continue to stay your course!

Blessed Be!

:blush::raised_hands:t2::ocean::sun_with_face:

1 Like

I am using the facts presented in the book The Naked Mind and this app as my support mechanism. I have tried AA and out patient rehab in the past but did not stay sober. I think by understanding better what it does to my mind and body that I will have a better chance to be successful. I also have a financial incentive. I was spending a lot of money on good scotch (my go to) and already spent over $3000 this year. There are a lot of things I could do with that $3000 if I still had it. I have been drinking most of my life and am approaching retirement age now and just want to feel better about myself. I am the type of guy who can usually execute almost anything if I put my mind to it. I still think about how much I enjoy a good scotch and cigar and miss it though.

4 Likes

One coping mechanism that I find extremely powerful when I feel like a drink, is to get straight out and run or walk or bike for 20 minutes. When I get home the urge is usually gone and my mind is calmer. Would highly reccoment trying it.

2 Likes

Since your using this forum as a support mechanism, I suggest joining in on the daily check in thread. It’s a great way to get to know others while everyone gets to know you and having accountability helps too.

2 Likes

Hey :wave::wave::wave::wave:… keep coming back here when you have cravings and show us how you get through them…you could help so many others by showing your strength :pray::+1::+1:…p.s,i wouldn’t call it a ‘desire’…a desire to stay clean is much more powerful than a craving to drink alcohol. :blush:

1 Like

How do I join? I clicked the link and wrote something. Is that how you join?

1 Like

I do love walking the dog and try to get out at least 3x per day. Back issues limit my mobility but working on a medical solution. Need disc repair.

1 Like

Yes, click on the link and you’ll see how others check in and then you do the same. I’ve gotten to know some awesome people from all over the world that I now consider friends just by reading and sharing our journeys on that thread.

1 Like