Trying to Take Sobriety Seriously (again)

My name is Drew, I’m 24 years old, and I’ve been drinking since I was 14. It just started as me messing around with my moms wine and tequila with my friends and not thinking much of it. When I turned 15, I started drinking regularly during family functions. My family was very lax about me drinking exessivley as long as I did it with them, but eventually I started stealing alcohol and drinking by myself when I was 17. When I was 18 and in college, I bought handles of alcohol from a classmate who worked at a liquor store, and then I would drink almost every single day with one of my sisters until I was 21. Then, I would start buying a bottle a week.

When I was 22 in the summer of '21, I started drinking 5/7 days after work. I served across the street from a bar, and would be up until 1 am pre-gaming at work after my shift, and then would go to the bar and drink more. It became my nightly routine to drink after work, and sometimes on my days off. I would drink when I was happy and wanting to have a good time, but eventually started to drink when I was angry, depressed, or anxious. I started medicating with alcohol and nothing else. I neglected my physical and mental health, pushing myself deeper into depression, causing cyclical drinking. I physically injured myself many times which put my job in jeopardy on multiple occasions.

I would spend my last dollar on a drink at the bar, and I did so consistently, and it got worse once I started working at the bar I went to and started getting a 50% discount. There wasn’t a single day or night I went without a drink, and I almost never went to bed sober. I used to spend $300-$400 a month just on alcohol. Ever since I was 17, I knew I had a problem. I would start craving a drink, and drinking way too much when I did. Alcoholism runs in both sides of my family; my father, uncle, aunt, uncle, and grandfather. For some reason, I didn’t think I could ever be like them. It didn’t even cross my mind.

At the end of 2022, I was going through a very intense break-up. My drinking problem was a prominant contention froim my ex-fiance, and it got worse when we separated. I ended up drinking almost an entire bottle of whiskey at a party and eventually left while I was (literally) sobbing in an uber. After I got home, I proceeded to verbally berate them over a 2-hour phone call. I don’t remember almost anything I said, but I do remember throwing away a fresh bottle that night, and waking up in the morning to them saying they had no love left for me. After that, I got sober. It was surprisingly easy after a few weeks, and I rarely had cravings. I was sober for 5 months when, in April of '23, my grandmother died, and I used it as an excuse to end my sobriety with a bingeing episode.

After that, I told myself that I could still drink “like a normal person”, but I would make rules. 1. No alcohol in the house. 2. No more than 2 days a week. 3. No more than 1 beer and 2 shots per day. These rules became more and more lax, and I eventually was back in full swing with my addiction, consistently making excuses. When I would tell people I was drinking again, I’d say “I’m drinking but not DRINKING”, as if it made it any better.

In August of 2023, I met my now fiancee. She had and still has a lot of trauma surrounding people who drink. She didn’t like me going out to bars or being around her when I was drunk, but I did it anyway because I thought she was trying to control me. She was concerned about my drinking, but I didn’t take it seriously. One night I got very drunk, and stbbed myself in the leg 9 times. Stayed overnight in the hospital and got 5 staples. I still drank. The last time I drank, I tried to kll myself via overdose, and was hospitalized for 3 days. I remember the ambulance, texting my boss and my mother, my family coming to visit, and my fiancee staying with me the first night I was admitted. That’s when she told me I had to stop. I made the choice to stay sober for her. I’m still trying to find a reason to stay sober for myself, and my lack of reasoning is making sobriety much more difficult than before. Still, I’m proud to say I’m 84 days sober today, March 2nd, 2024, and while I haven’t found my reasoning yet, I can say I’m much happier than I would’ve been if I’d kept turning to alcohol as a solution when it was only ever a problem.

14 Likes

Holy shit brother thats alot. Its no lie addiction is a progressive disease. Congrats on 84 days! Thats wonderful to hear after reading your story. What are you doing for your recovery? I know you mentioned youre doing it for your fiance. How do you get your buyin on your sobriety?

Have you tried any meetings like aa, smart, refuge recovery? The structure of aa and the fellowship gave me hope that i could leave the cyclical addiction to alcohol behind me and create a life i would love.

Im glad you found us here. This community is a big reason i have 22mo sober when i couldnt string 2 days together.

2 Likes

Welcome, Drew. So glad you are here. Thank you for sharing your story here, it’s honest and raw and inspiring. You are in good company here, and I hope you read around this site a lot, reach out when you’re in need and give support to others when they’re in need. TS has been a tremendous help to me. I know it will be for you too. :pray::heart:

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing your story. I can definitely relate to the bargaining with yourself and trying to set rules for drinking that never seem to last very long. Keep searching for that reason why. It sounds like you can recognize life is better without drinking and your reason lies in that somewhere.

3 Likes

Drew you are so worth a sober life! Congrats on your days and please do this for you above all else. I hope you find your peace that you are doing this for YOU.

2 Likes

Drew,

Here’s my personal take on the situation. I’m not a therapist or any kind of professional.

you’re not alone. Alcoholism runs deeply in both sides of my family too. The actual odds of us beating it are low, but we can understand what it takes to succeed.

You do need a reason to live, and to live fully. You have to search for meaning and purpose in life. It has to be something important that you’re willing to suffer for. Your love for your girlfriend is a good start, maybe a desire to start a healthy and happy family will become your purpose.

For me the reason to live is Christ. As God, He has made this life meaningful, and we have an eternal kingdom to look forward to. He also helps me deal with the difficult trials of this life. With fervent prayer it becomes possible to overcome the odds that are against you.

I think it’s also important to recognize that there are probably other traumas and dysfunctional elements that are common in alcoholic families. I think you will need to address this in order to fully move on from alcohol.

Best wishes!