Trying Wellbutrin

I finally fessed up to my doctor that I have a drinking problem. I blacked out on Monday night and missed work. Finally set up that appointment and glad I did.

She thinks I drink to regulate my dopamine levels or something like that. I’ve binge ate, drank coffee, etc. That’s why I can’t stop.

Wellbutrin is usually for smoking but my usual “three days later” craving isn’t there. Okay, I’ve been slightly manic cleaning house but it beats the alternative.

We’ll see. I’m hopeful to get my motivation to do, well, anything back. Worth a shot.

5 Likes

And I hear wellbutrin makes you last longer in bed😉

I hope it works? Best wishes for you

1 Like

It’s the miracle :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I was on welbutrin for depression for a couple years. First few months, I was euphoric, had insomnia, and was extremely energetic then my emotions leveled out. I didn’t notice anything with regard to drinking or smoking cravings - still did both but I did notice that when I drank while taking it, alcohol would affect me immediately and my hangovers were absolutely horrible. I didn’t care at the time since I was on welbutrin for depression, I ended up stopping when it started having the opposite affect (instead of making me feel good, my depression and anger worsened) but hopefully you’ll have a positive experience. Stay strong! :slight_smile: just continue to be honest with your doctor about how you’re feeling.

do you think it’s the wellbutrin or the lack of alcohol that is making you manically clean?

My house is spotless now i have stopped drinking. Constantly hunting around for things to straighten or scrub lol. It used to be so messy before and i didn’t care

1 Like

Haha it really was the drug. I had boundless energy last night and couldn’t settle down until I wore out. Probably my body adjusting.

I had exactly two very passing and unemotional thoughts about drinking and went on with my night.

Lethargy and lack of motivation are my big triggers. Maybe it’s too early to tell but I like it so far.

Same here. My bathroom was gross and I never cook for myself. Did both last night without a care.

1 Like

I took Wellbutrin 9 years ago for roughly 3 months to give me the final kick I needed to quit smoking…it really helped. It also gave me wicked insomnia, which I had bad enough already…so 3 months was long enough for me. Glad it is helping you!

2 Likes

Just my opinion here, from many years of trying different antidepressants-- I think they’re totally worth a shot even if alcoholism is your main issue. When you take the alcohol away, it sometimes becomes clearer that shit is not right mentally-- which you can seek outside help for. Sometimes therapy, other 12 groups, or meds can help. But it can take a while for their effects to even out, and it can take a while to even find the right medication. Brain chemistry is weird and unpredictable. I used to get so discouraged and pissed off when they didn’t do anything, I’d swear I’d never take one again. But finally, I quit drinking and one actually helped. Anyway, this is a really long winded way to say, good luck!

2 Likes

Currently using Wellbutrin but not like clockwork so I’m sometimes manic and sometimes ridiculously existentialist. It can make a pretty good difference though if used right. I’m still trying to figure out if it’s actually a good long term behavioral med for me though, but definitely good luck and just see what works for you!

I think I use alcohol to correct some sort of chemical inbalance. I do the same with coffee. I’m hoping to correct that and turn down the anxiety also

It’s totally possible! I drank to lessen anxiety and ptsd symptoms (one of the reasons I drank anyway), which I believe are partially the result of a chemical imbalance in my brain from exposure to constant high stress and occasional trauma as a child. Turns out elevated stress hormones cause wear and tear on the brain and body! Unfortunately drinking doesn’t work forever, and can make it so much worse. A hangover was like a black pit. I was so much further down than I usually was.

2 Likes

Same here. I had panic attacks in college and still suffer pretty bad social anxiety. I can tell something is different on this med. With the coffee I don’t want more and more. I threw some away the other day and I never do that!

Not going to try the alcohol though. Last thing I need is a seizure alone in a blackout…

Try XR tabs if the regular release ones are too strong.

Wellbutrin works on dopamine so it’s ideal for withdrawal and cravings. It can be pretty strong for some people. If it’s making you feel weird, there’s other drugs now that regulate dopamine and norpendephrine as well. Good luck!

1 Like

The energy boost was just one day. I’m on a strong dose 300mg and I’m not battling any strong urges. Thoughts here and there but nothing lasting. Still a little restless and moody but there’s definite improvement.

It can definitely do that on 300mg. Are you on extended release?

I tried Wellbutrin earlier this year, at 150mg I felt on edge and irritable but I didn’t realize what it was. Ended up at the hospital where they quickly changed it to 300mg(mind you I had just started the 150mg a week before the hospital and I was still tapering off the other medication I was on) and abruptly discontinued the medication I was tapering off of (cymbalta) long story short I will never take Wellbutrin again. It made me almost lose my mind, I have never EVER experience such irrational rage in my life. I seriously could have hurt someone on that medication. Anyway. That’s my experience with wellbutrin sadly I wanted it to work out, but it’s just not for me.

Yes the XR. I’m tolerating it really well. I think it was great to try Wellbutrin over an ssri at first because motivation and reward are messed up in my brain. It also serves as somewhat of an ADD med.

Anyway, all those horror stories aside, basically no side effect.