Turning 30

As the caption reads, I’m turning 30 this Friday, and it feels great. I struggled with alcoholism most of my 20s, at 22 I noticed I had a problem, but pushed the thought to the back of my head and kept drinking. As time went on, my drinking grew more and more, from once a month to once a week, to one or 2 each day, to drinking from sunrise to sunset. At 24-25 I tried getting sober to no avail, I couldn’t do it. I would hit 3 days tops and go back to drinking. At 26 I completely gave up trying to quit and just drank. That’s all I wanted to do, and all I cared about, the next drink; the next black out. I became a shell of the person I am, I became depressed, and towards the end even suicidal, thinking that killing my self would be the only way to get rid of my alcohol problem. At 27 I had my moment of clarity, where I realized just how deep in the hole I was with alcohol. I reached 100 days then thought “one drink won’t hurt” but it did, I drank the whole weekend and eventually was able to stop with the thanks of a friend. 52 days after that I relapsed again, due to… a lot of things. That relapse sucked tho, I drank for 8 days straight, skipping meals like before, doing other drugs to keep going, after those 8 days I ended up in the hospital cause I felt like I was dying from the withdrawals. After that time, I haven’t drank again. I am now 2 years sober (806 days) and My life is 1000000 times better without alcohol. It wasn’t easy, but little by little the fog in my brain started to clear up. My body got healthier, I even lost a whopping 50+ pounds due to me focusing on diet and exercise to keep my mind busy. I’ve accomplished goals I never could’ve in my current state of alcoholism, and have many goals and ambitions I want to accomplish. My relationship with my family is better, and I even gained a beautiful partner and now we have a family of our own. My relationship with myself got better, the voice inside my head always talking down on me minimized, and confident more reassuring voice has replaced it. Back when I was 24-26 I longed for this day, to be able to have a few years of sobriety under my belt by the time I turned 30, and I’m so glad I’m accomplishing that

20 Likes

Heck yeah!
What a success story.
Thanks for sharing, a very happy 30th Birthday :birthday: to you for Friday.
You have much to celebrate, that’s for sure!

5 Likes

This is such a wonderful story :heartpulse: I am so happy for you that you have accomplished such a great achievement, the gift of your life back, it doesn’t get much better than that. Amazing work, Happy Birthday :partying_face:

3 Likes

I’m so proud of you. Thank you for sharing your story. Hapoy birthday. :blush::birthday::heart:

1 Like

Great story! You so deserve it!

2 Likes

This is a beautiful thing to read. Well done. Keep it up. :heart::clap:t3::clap:t3:

2 Likes

Congrats on 806 days :tada: happy sober 30th :birthday::balloon::gift::tada:

2 Likes

Oh wow, your story is so inspiring!! What a beautiful gift to yourself and your family to enter your 30s sober and clear and free!! I love this for you. Happy 30th birthday and happy 806 days!!! So much to celebrate and be proud of!!! :clap: :muscle::birthday::gift::tada::partying_face:

2 Likes

Amazing! :raised_hands: And HAPPY BIRTHDAY :birthday::tada: sober and happy :blush:

1 Like

What a great turn around. Congratulations on your sobriety. Happy birthday and welcome to the 30 club :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

This brought a lot of joy to me right before I head to bed. Thank you.

1 Like