Uggghhhh!...i need to vent!

Theres so much inner conflict right now. I need to vent or I’ll implode! I’ve been sober for a good amount of time and now that the water is calm, I see more clearly. I was drinking to devoid myself from facing reality and I was slowly harboring those negative emotions inside me with each drink. Those bottled emotions reared its ugly head when I started my sobriety journey. It came out unexpectedly and randomly. It was expressed through crying. I cried for days…weeks…months. I allowed myself to feel the emotions that was suppressed inside for years. Crying allowed me to grieve, to heal, to move forward. This was my rock bottom. This is when I see who has unconditional love for me, during my darkest times. The ones that have judged me and treat me poorly during my recovery are unfortunately my S.O. family members. They loathe me and make it known that they’ll never look past my drinking addiction and will always look down on me as a drunk. My S.O. has gone down the same rabbit hole and has stopped drinking as well. However, his family, has unconditional love for him and regards him as heroic and commends him for his recovery. DO YOU SEE THE DOUBLE STANDARD HERE? You can’t force relationships and I’ve concluded that I was never regarded/respected as a family member. They use my past addiction as a reason to validate their disrespect towards me. My S.O. cannot say or do anything to possibly change this. Afterall, you can’t change spots on a leopard. The line is definitely drawn in the sand where I stand in their food chain of family dynamic. I want nothing to do with this unhealthy/toxic environment. I’ve recognized I’m at a crossroad where I will trim more fat off my inner circle to advance forward in my journey towards sobriety. Boundaries will be set, bridges will be burnt, relationships will end. This will be hard and hurtful but necessary. Anyone out there that can relate to this?

10 Likes

I’m sorry you suffer. I send you hugs and keep you in my prayers. I know that setting healthy boundaries can hurt. :pray::orange_heart: ODAAT

2 Likes

Type away! I know it helps me. While i don’t have words or advice i read your thread and know that people are here to listen and if venting is what you need, vent away.

3 Likes

Addictions aside, maybe there should be a support thread for people who have a-hole inlaws. I would totally join. We could be co-chairs of our own fan club. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Yaasss!! War of the A-hole in-laws!! I’m in. Ha! That made my day. Thx :laughing:

4 Likes

Oh yeah, mine would give yours a run for their money. I just decided a long time ago that their opinions wouldnt matter to me if I weren’t involved with their son…so, their opinions don’t matter to me. I am polite and courteous, and give less than zero F’s about what they think. :slight_smile:

In terms of the double standard and perspective, my parents are about the nicest people you will ever meet. But, my brother got hooked on prescription pain pills, had a few tumultuous years, and ultimately ended his own life. I am not sure my parents have ever blamed anyone other than his ex-wives for all of his shortcomings and issues. They make easy scapegoats that don’t require any deep reflection or introspection.

Sounds like your inlaws are doing the same, and that is a reflection on them and their coping/processing abilities, not a reflection on you!

6 Likes

Lo! Yas!! All are welcome like myself with X in laws that are out-of-there-ever-loving freaking mind :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::call_me_hand:t3::metal:t3:. I think it’s a great thread idea and it could even be solution focused following the part about WAT-THAAAAAFUUUUUK was that rant :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

3 Likes

Lmao right?? Me too made me laugh in a really positive way :laughing:

1 Like