Ultra trail runners here?

I’ve been running for the past year (people ask me what I’m running away from lol), but as us on here know, a little is never enough… I’ve entered for my first ever ultra race . I have a year to train! I’m wondering if there are others on here pursuing similar goals. And of course, to share experiences and how running, and running far, is helping with overcoming addiction.

5 Likes

I’ve read that those sock looking shoes are actually better.

“Born to Run” is a really good book to read about Ultra’s as well.

2 Likes

Was actually watching some of Chris McDougall’s online vids this morning. I love documentaries on ultra, they keep me grounded and inspired!

1 Like

Same here, younger years were for partying… :see_no_evil: You have a lot of mileage already so I’m sure a marathon would be more than achievable! I’ll check in here with preparing - it’s a good idea as the mind goes to interesting places when you push it to its limits… Please do the same. Lxx

Another marathoner here. I love following a training plan and love training with a group. So you have a running club? It’s so great when you can do your long runs with others.

I currently have a broken foot and on crutches. My upcoming 200-mile, 24 hour team running relay is now done. I think I will still go, but I’ll be the team’s one-legged driver / cheerleader instead.

2 Likes

Oh no! So sorry to hear that. How long will healing take?

They said six to eight weeks…

My usual run is only 4k so I am in the wrong thread. However sorry to hear about your foot. I hope you have a backup exercise plan in place. For a lot of us once we are used to exercise we get very moody if we lose it.

2 Likes

That’s so long! Take care of it x

1 Like

Youre right! It is so frustrating just SITTING. I had googled workouts with a broken foot - and there were a few on YouTube :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not the wrong thread :slight_smile: I love shorter runs and do them often as I work long hours and have little time - but need to keep moodiness at bay. Great to hear from a fellow runner!

1 Like

Was wondering how that foot is doing?

I’m getting ready for my first Ultra trail run in a month and have a few road running marathons under my belt. Running, especially long distances allows me time to think that otherwise I would find distractions…drinking for example. I don’t use music , I listen to the world around me.

If you guys want a great read that combines Ultra and addiction- “Finding Ultra” is incredible. It was recommended by a counselor last fall when I first started dealing seriously with my addiction and I was the catalyst that gave me months of sobriety…and now that I’m back from relapse…I think that’s my next read. Thanks

1 Like

I’m so happy that you are here and would love to support you in any way I can. I have Rich Roll’s Finding Ultra on audiobooks but have not yet started it. I most definitely will now! I also love just listening to my environment.

I absolutely adore Timothy Olson as well who was an addict - his words: “I ran to forget, I ran for peace, I ran because it was all I could do and it healed me” - really struck a chord. Ultras help us face those demons head on.

I’m doing my first ultra race early next year so am preparing. Please keep me posted on your training and progress!

Thanks. And Vise versa on the support!

I’m gonna check out Tim Olson.

I’ll keep you posted on my progress and please do same​:muscle::fist_left:

1 Like

Will do! Lx

Thank you for asking! It is feeling so much better but I’m still in the boot until Oct 1. And even then, no running for a few more weeks. Funny, you asked on the day of the 24 hour race that I am missing because of my foot :triumph:. Anyway it feels so great to be rid of the crutches!!

3 Likes

I can imagine how frustrating it is, especially having had a 24hr race planned! But glad to hear you are doing better, great that you are off the crutches.

1 Like

Wow cool. I need to get running.

1 Like