Unavoidable Lifestyle Triggers

So I’m new to this site, so thank you for your support in advance.

My crutch is :snowflake:, and has been for years. I know my triggers, but the main one is being in nightlife. Im a bartender and have been in the industry for 10+ years. The hardest thing for me is getting off of work and fighting the cravings to be out and blowing down lines with “friends”.

I had another post about relapsing over and over again, and I plan to take action steps from the responses I got …but the hardest part is the toxic environment and lifestyle that I’m forced to be in day in and day out…

Any advice on how to curve the cravings and mentally fight the lifestyle I’m in while trying to be sober?

1 Like

Not sure your new or new to the TS community so i just say for me i had no idea what triggers where or i to deal with them until i hit treatment and the AA room (my d.o.c. is alcohol) but listening to others explain to me and how they dealt with it helped me alot. Now for me as you deal with the night n job i just had to understand my sobriety came before that and anything hindering that i had to remove it. Yes i had a job that was affecting n effecting my sobriety so i found something else. I found out i had to do what was best for me and everyones journey is different but we want the same thing to get n be clean. For me the cravings sheesh were crucial at first so i stayed busy to take my mind off it. Just know it shall pass to only if you give yourself a chance n work work n keep coming back. We cannot do this alone. I hope this help a lil or at least planted a little seed . ODAAT

3 Likes

It may sound like a lot, and everyone’s journey is different, so take this advice with a grain of salt; it is what worked for me and not necessarily something that will work for you.

Quit your job. Find a new career, new friends, etc. that fit with the lifestyle you WANT to have, the sober lifestyle that you deserve. Just walk away from everything and start over. Nothing changes if you don’t make a change. The dreams that you have of the perfect life can be reality. Chasing them seems daunting and will have so many obstacles.

When you look back, it’ll all be worth it.

If you aren’t ready to sacrifice everything else for this life you want to live, maybe you aren’t ready to live it yet.

It seems really harsh but I want you to know I love and support you, no matter your decision. It’s the hardest thing someone can do. For now, like Don said, take it one day at a time. Learn to say no bit by bit and you’ll make progress.

4 Likes

My work environment was very toxic. I knew if I stayed, I would probably relapse, but I decided to give it a try. A month into recovery, I had to leave. I had to get away from anything that could hinder my recovery, that’s how bad I wanted it. Within 2 weeks I started a new career. I do not regret that decision at all. Recovery was actually the push I needed to move on in life.

6 Likes