Unfamiliar Anger

Day40!!! But, I have been noticing a short temper and almost anger within me. Mostly toward my kids and husband. Has anyone noticed this in recovery? I hate blaiming everything on sobriety. Could be something totally unrelated but I figured I’d ask here first…

2 Likes

Give a search in irritability and you will strike gold. Seems like a normal part of the process.

1 Like

Hmmm. Wonder if it lasts forever or what the typical windows is for this… thanks for the tip!

No, it goes away. If you think about it, it makes sense. All those emotions we squashed with alcohol or drugs for years…finally being allowed to bubble up. This too shall pass.

2 Likes

Welcome to actually feeling the feels. It’s really tricky and alot of the anger does come from the detox and recovery process. It’s normal and will pass, try and be aware of the emotions, learn to accept them and let them flow and move pass. It’s a process, don’t get ahead of yourself. Step by step, one foot infront of the other.

4 Likes

This post has been deleted.

3 Likes

Yeah, it’s normal. Having feelings is weird. Most of us aren’t used to having feelings or emotions. Kinda tough to handle at first, but once you realize how much sobriety kicks ass you generally become waaaaay less angry than you used to be. AA has taught me a lot about acceptance and powerlessness.

1 Like

This post has been deleted.

This happened to me today. I started muttering and swearing because the store was out of Sriracha. Then I had a panic attack. Don’t mess with my Sriracha.

4 Likes

Perfectly normal. I haven’t experienced true good anger in about 2 months and I’m 81 days sober. I too attend AA and practice the principles in my life.

Be aware of the symptoms of HALT. Hungry Angry Lonely Tired. 1 feeds another and can really set us off so make sure you’re getting sleep and food, be thankful you have your husband and kids. Some don’t have them.

2 Likes

It takes a lot of work to realize why you get angry. It helps me to remember that I’m powerless over other people. The only thing I can change is how I handle things. By getting angry all I’m doing is letting them rent space in my head.

Now I can’t say my head is empty, but I do evict people much quicker.

5 Likes

Thank you for this :heart: